300wsm

darrindlh

I do not know much about this cartrige. What are the expectations I could have for long range performance? I am looking for a long range big game hunting rifle. Looking at the Savage Model 12 low profile in the 300 wsm Any thoughts would help me out? Thanks

I do not know much about this cartrige. What are the expectations I could have for long range performance? I am looking for a long range big game hunting rifle. Looking at the Savage Model 12 low profile in the 300 wsm Any thoughts would help me out? Thanks

I have a savage m12 in 300WSM. It will shoot 1/2" groups all day long at 100yds. The 300WSM is an excellent cartridge. Mine shoots the 165gr Hornady BTSP and the flatbases into .3" groups. It does about 1/2" with the 180gr Nosler Accubonds and the 200gr Accubonds. I have the 26" heavy fluted barrel.

The only thing I did to mine was replace the barrel nut and recoil lug with machined ones from Sharpshooterssupply and headspaced the barrel for a tight fit on a headspace gauge.

I shot it for a while with the tupperware stock that came with it and was very impressed. I've since changed the stock to a heavy laminate stock and purchased a second barrel (338 Edge) for the rifle. It shoots pretty good with the 28" 338 Edge barrel too :D

I'd be very confident to at least 800yds with my 300wsm on deer sized game.

Hope this helps,
AJ

A.J
It is good to hear from you!! That helps me out a ton!! With me living here in Idaho do you think that the 300wsm would be to light for elk and moose size game or would it be just a deer rifle?

Definitely big enough for elk and moose, but I'd keep it to 6-700yds personally.

Some would use it further though.

I am very impressed with the 300WSM, it's performance, accuracy, barrel life etc. I really like the cartridge.

AJ

One other thing, you can take that Savage 300WSM and slap a 300RUM barrel on it (it would be single shot). And really have a long range hammer. Or do like I did and slap a 338 Edge barrel on it!

AJ

Is it really that easy to switch back and forth. That is sweet!!

I've never timed it, but less than 10minutes for sure, and I take my time.

All it takes is a headspace gauge and barrel wrench. Probably less than $100 to do the swaps back and forth (wrench, action vise and a headspace gauge for each caliber).

AJ

I agree with AJ, it is a fine cartridge. I am getting excellent results with H-414 and several 150 grain bullets. Magpro is doing very well for me with the 200 grain bullets. Also winchester MRP but they quit making it several years ago. I am having better success with the cci 250 primers. The fed 215's may have been to hot but they didn't do as well in my gun. I am getting 3400 fps with the 150 and 2900 fps with the 200 if that helps any. The 200 accubond at 2900 fps shoots very accurate and will get your elk at any reasonable range.

So would I be correct to say that this cartridge would be an excellent cartridge for a long range gun for varmits to big game. Correct!!
Darrin

So would I be correct to say that this cartridge would be an excellent cartridge for a long range gun for varmits to big game. Correct!!
Darrin

It might be a tad large for 'varmits' unless your varmits include feral hogs, then it would be great. When I was a kid, my favorite prairie dog gun was a 7mm Rem Magnum. But that's only because my only other option was a 22lr and the prairie dogs knew how far I was dangerous with the lever action 22 with open sights.

The 300WSM is a terrific cartridge.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.