300WSM twist rate

Clndesl

I am rebarreling my model 70 300WSM and was curiouus what everyone is running on twist rate. I hand load and will be running berger bullets in 180-210 gr whatever works best. please let me know what you guys think cause i am getting some people who say 1-11 and some 1-10 I need to order a barrel like today so your help will be appreciated.

I am rebarreling my model 70 300WSM and was curiouus what everyone is running on twist rate. I hand load and will be running berger bullets in 180-210 gr whatever works best. please let me know what you guys think cause i am getting some people who say 1-11 and some 1-10 I need to order a barrel like today so your help will be appreciated.

1-10 gets my vote. The 1-10 works for about anything you'd ever want to shoot out of the 300 WSM, including the 230 Bergers if you so choose. I've shot them with great success out of the 300 WSM with a 1-10.

There is not alot of difference between the 11x and the 10x with 150-200 class bullets. In other words the 10x is not going to hinder your performance over the 11x with those bullets. That said, a 10x will handle the heavies a bit better. 11x is really the minimum needed for the 208 or 210's but IMHO, the 10x is a bit better suited for the 210 class bullets than the 11x even though the 11x will work. If you ever want to shoot some of the mono metal bullets up near the heavy side, or bullets heavier than the 210's, the 10x will handle these MUCH better than the 11x.

The 10x gets my vote as well.

M

Thanks for the recommendations I ordered a 10 twist today. We will c how it shoots

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.