300WSM Tikka T3 Lite or Savage 11 LRH

mrgreentie

I'm thinking of avoiding building a new hunting rifle altogether. I've narrowed it down to two rifles. I'll be hunting whitetail deer out to 500ish yards from a tree-stand.

Which would you choose?

Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM

-or-

Savage Model: 11 Long Range Hunter (Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Long Range Hunter)

The Savage weighs 2lbs more but it has a brake, karten cheek-piece, accuStock and accuTrigger. It seems ready to roll? BUT, the Tikka is 2lbs lighter and 2" shorter which could come in handy when sitting 15ft in the air, on the side of a tree.

Thoughts?

Sorry I did not spot this one sooner. I have a tikka t3 in WSM and it shoots better than I do .5 typical 180 ballistic tip handloads H4350 and a 215 and an unmeasured but significantly better groups with the 190 berger vld. While I don't think you could go wrong with a modern savage, the muzzle brake may be a negative in tree stand? The tikka's handiness would probably be a positive. If you get a tikka put a limbsaver pad on it before you ever even fire it. Good luck

That Savage is a sweet gun, but for your application limited to 500 yards the Tikka should be sufficient and easier to handle being shorter and lighter. By the way, for 500 yards and under you can look to many calibers to the the job easier to handle than the .300 wsm.

I have both in different calibers and both are great shooters sub .5 MOA or better if I'm steady.

Other than the weight there are a few other differences to consider. The Tikka costs less, action is way smoother, and I like the trigger better. The brake on the Savage is really nice for spotting your shots, and of course the Savage is made in the USA.

You can't go wrong with either.

Paul

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts