300wsm remington build

sheepaholic

I just accired a 300wsm remington 700 sps i want to make a lightwieght long range hunting gun.
Just wondering where i should start for a wieght loss and accuaccy gain? Should i leave it a 300wsm or make it into a different caliber
mainly used for sheep and elk

The caliber is fine. What weight you are after will help folks suggest ideas for the major components (barrel, stock, scope). What ranges you are after is important as well. Light rifles can be very accurate, but some weight is a big help when steadying the crosshairs on an adrenaline filled shot on the side of a mountain at 700 yards.

Why would you want to change the caliber? A 300 WSM is a potent round, your limiting factor is if you have a short action. If that gun is a long action and has a 10 or 11 twist barrel you could load it with 210 Bergers and some H4350. I get just over 2900fps with that combo. That bullet has a high BC and plenty of down range energy. If it doesn't shoot accurate with that set up somethings broke. I also hear that a lot of guys have pretty good luck with 168 grain bullets but I never tried them, that would be an option if it's a short action

My favorite all around combo for the 300 WSM is the 168 gr Nosler E- tip with a good charge of RL17 exceeding 3200 fps.

Nosler's B.C. for the 168 E tip is .503 and from what I've seen it's pretty darn close to the adv. B.C.

for hunting im using 168 gr barnes ttsx
as for shots hunting right now 500 yrds max is all im comfortable with, but i just bought my parents farm and set up a gong i can shoot all they way out to 1100meters
so thats kinda what im looking at for now and after more practice hopefully extend the hunting range.

i have two rem 700ti s. i took my sendero sheep hunting it has a leup mk 4 scope . much steadier. took me 27 years to ge the tag i did not want to miss.

I shoot 210 VLD Bergers in my WSM and accuracy is great. If your twist is 11 or slower you might want to try the 190 grain VLD. I know a few guys that are using the 210 VLD on elk and deer and they really work. Heavy bullet and high BC makes flatter trajectory and more energy downrange. Matt KLine

I shoot 210 VLD Bergers in my WSM and accuracy is great. If your twist is 11 or slower you might want to try the 190 grain VLD. I know a few guys that are using the 210 VLD on elk and deer and they really work. Heavy bullet and high BC makes flatter trajectory and more energy downrange. Matt KLine
Hey Matt
I'm just a long range deer hunter but want optimal accuracy. I been following you on the 300wsm. Congratulations by the way on your record groups! IM VERY INTERESTED IN THE 300 WSM ACCURACY! I'm planning on rebarreling my 308 baer on a RL long Bat action and was going to pick your brain on how to set the 26inch barrel up for a 210 berger? Do you prefer a 1/10 twist for the best accuracy? How far do recommend setting the throat up for setting the bullets further out? What velocities should I be expecting? I'm kicking around the 28 nosler as well because I might have shots out to 1300yds. My email is [email protected]
Thanks!

My smith just built me two 300 WSM rifles for backpack hunting. One with 700 and one with SAKO. The Cartridge is a dream to reload plus great bullet selection of very reasonably priced store ammo available. With the SPS a match grade barrel purchase will make a so so build much more accurate and save you a bunch of time and frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.