300WSM reloading bench for starters

daka

Hello there
I apologize in an advance if this question was already posted and it probably was but bet it was never posted while we're quarantined so have some mercy.

Had reloading equipment for ever and pretty much have some clue how the system works as did some reloading in past while used to live in Ontario but nothing to serious extent. Was reloading with a buddy that was "google educated" and kinda lean on that a bit as well. It helped anyway.

Reason I bug you today was that I will try to start with 300WSM among other calibers I plan in future. I would like to get some starting points as to easier narrow some stuff down especially with all the TP shortages along with reloading supplies.

Already have whole bunch of Winchester brass, Barnes 180 gr TTSX and 180gr Lapua bullets and just bought a pound of IMR 4451 powder.
Looked good on shelf as it was the only one with WSM data on it...(I know, rookie thinking, right...)

I will start experimenting with that for now but to save some time and money of endless trying, would like to hear someones recipes or what worked and what didn't in terms of powder and primer choices. Was reloading with Alliant Reloader previously and I know that there is two powders that are great for WSM's and also that temperature sensitivity thing as well and how well it effects the whole process.
Right now live in Alberta and most of my hunting(BTW reloading purpose will be mostly hunting oriented stuff).
If anyone can point some do's and don'ts or like starting points would be more than appreciated.

Thanks ahead
New but not completely new, quarantined reloader.

I shoot a Mod 70, .300 WSM. The load I have been using for the last two elk seasons in Montana is the Federal Edge TLR, 63.2 Gr RL16, CCI 250 Primers and Federal brass. 2830 FPS. I do sort bullets and cases by weight. I don't know if it makes that much difference, but I feel better doing it. It shoots, <.5 MOA groups at 100 and 200 yds. This is the best performing bullet I have ever used. I have shot an elk at 570 and 500 yds the last two years. Both were one shot kills, and neither went more than 10 yds. Excellent terminal performance, and accuracy. I am currently testing the latest version of this bullet. Federal named it the Ascent. Internally the bullet looks the same as the Edge, externally, a second cannerule has been added. I have tried the same recipe for the Ascent and results are similar. I still have more testing to do to see if a can safely squeeze a bit more speed from this bullet.

Thanks a lot at least some start...spend good amount of time last night on IMR, Barnes and Lapua, Hodgeon websites and there is nowhere Barnes and IMR 4451 loads start and max COAL info...drives me nuts, even new barnes and Nosler reloading manual don't list that powder even though IMR claim it is best for use in 300WSM. Drives me nuts...
Anything is more than appreciated as I don't want to put too much pressure by loading hot load when following other powder info

Seriously, no one ever loaded IMR 4451 with 180gr Barnes TTSX or any 180gr bullet in 300WSM...

Will check it again thanks, could not find anything for IMR 4451
Thanks

Found it for Swift scirocco and Nosler E-tip but there is no Barnes data anywhere...
However thanks...

Thanks man that's the kind of information I was looking for, stuff you can not google up but gotta come from guys who tried it all...

Without starting new thread...
What is the tolerance in case weight difference...
Got a span from 234.gn to 238.gn
About 4 grain and would like to know whether they can be loaded in a same group or separately with same weight...
What do you guys usually tolerate for weight difference?

Found it for Swift scirocco and Nosler E-tip but there is no Barnes data anywhere...
However thanks...
E-Tip is the same thing as Barnes. What you are looking for is matching bullet type, all copper, in this case.

IMR4451 wouldn't be my first choice, but I think it looks like a pretty good choice.

Barnes wouldn't be my first choice either, but it looks good for an all copper bullet. I'm slow to accept all copper bullets due to the velocities required to work hunting.

I have reloaded for 20+ years. I reload for 300 WSM. My stock Savage 12 shoots 0.6" @ 100 yds....PM me, if you think I can help.

I don't worry about case weight. I really don't think it matters at all. Case shape, head stamp, # of firings, etc, matter, but not weight as far as I can tell.

I have sorted by weight....no change in groups. Sort by headstamp....this caused 10-20% improvement. A 223 of mine went from like 1.1" to 0.95"....not mind blowing, but good.

Look up OCW. Dan's methods can really open doors for you as far as speed of finding that load.

Look up Berger's OAL tuning. I still think a Berger's shoot best touching to 0.030", but trying their method seems like a good idea if your load is not quit there.

Look up ladder testing. I'm not sure I much care for shooting ladders on paper yet, but shooting them over the chrony can narrow the field and looking at the cases can help you find max pressure with 1 round vs many. Some cartridges either don't have book data or the book data is crap.

Last edited:
AA4350 worked so good in my 300WSM I bought 8lbs of it. I've since sold that gun and now use that powder with equal success in a 300 WM.

Does anyone load Lapua Scenar bullets, got some of those in 185 grain. Looks like I went backwards on reloading process... In times like this I went with what I had...

For Berger bullets I got whole lotta of them in .277 but will worry when it comes to that... got none for .30cal, right now...
Bought another two pounds of R17 for 300WSM and will try with that as well...as I could not find any starting loads for IMR4451 and 180grains bullets..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts