300WSM or 300 mag ?

Even if you cannot get to ~3.2" OAL, the .300 WSM loaded with 215 Berger is no slouch. My Savage 11 propels the 215 (.060" off the lands, IIRC, COAL is 3.003) at 2850 FPS out of 24" barrel with RL17.
You gotta think about recoil and the tip of the bullet hitting the front of the mag box.
I just sent a 300wsm to a guide friend of mine that had the 210 at 3.05 that I loaded for him, bullet had the bearing surface boatail right at the neck shoulder.
ADG is suppose to have 300WSM brass soon thats something to consider also

If you are shooting 600 yards and in you may not need to shoot 200+ grain bullets. The 300 WSM with a 165gr Scirocco or Accubond maybe a 160gr Hammer would give you a little less recoil and maybe a handier rifle. It may give you some more available powder options as well. It may be worth looking at your energy/trajectory goals and see what you find for components to meet them. To 600 yards neither has a huge advantage over the other especially from a factory rifle.

You gotta think about recoil and the tip of the bullet hitting the front of the mag box.
I just sent a 300wsm to a guide friend of mine that had the 210 at 3.05 that I loaded for him, bullet had the bearing surface boatail right at the neck shoulder.
ADG is suppose to have 300WSM brass soon thats something to consider also
I have had the same load for at least 5+ years without any issues.

If I had to choose one, 300WM, because you give up nothing. The main advantage to the WSM is being able to fit it in a short action with lighter bullets. Given your personal stated range limitation that's a viable option.

I know you wanna shoot Elk, but you haven't made suggestions on WHAT bullets you intend to use.
IMHO, the choice between these 2 cases all boils down to bullet choice.
My mate has a WSM, I have several 300WM's, a 300 Bee and a 300 RUM.
They all use different bullet weights.
If I were going to use 180g bullets exclusively, then the WSM is fine for that, it only gives up a 100fps or so to the WM.
If I planned on using 200g bullets, then the WM will handle that better, more capacity, therefore higher velocities.
My mate uses 165g Barnes TTSX in his WSM, funny thing is, this is the only ammo I could get for my 300 RUM. Have fires 3 shots sighting the rifle in so far, it boots quite a bit!
As to brass availability, here in Australia at present, WSM brass is on the shelves, Norma, Remington and Winchester are all in stock, however WM brass is no where to be seen, as is Weatherby or RUM.
We had no brass in stock other than 30-06 for a very long time starting in 2017. It is only the last 2 years that most cartridge cases are back in stock and now we get another lack of stock.
Anyway, the 300WM will most likely always be in stock somewhere.

Cheers.

I have both, the win mag will run 100-150fps faster with the 200gr class bullets. If you built on a winchester short action they are 3.1" mag length which is a decent difference from a 2.86" rem short action.
One of my wsm will push a 200.20x just under 3k which has some pretty solid ballistics, and almost right there with what my win mag will do with the same bullet.

In all fairness a 300WM holds 10+ more grains of powder than the 300WSM.
And I have also found all things being equal, that a longer more streamlined case will perform better
than one that bottlenecks abruptly.

Dean
Actually a short fat powder column provides a better more consistent burn rate. One reason the 308 is inherently more accurate than a 30/06.