300WSM or 300 mag ?

Nuclear Worker

If you were going to get one for Elk hunting which would you get. Don't plan on shooting more than 600 yards. I had a 300WSM and shot an Elk at 535 yards ran 20 yards. Sold it to help pay for a 6.5x284 for my sheep hunt. Have never had a 300 mag. I know my 6.5 would get it done at 600 but would like something with a little more for that shot if I don't make the perfect shot and end up in the shoulder.

Really depends on how heavy of a bullet you want to use. The 300wm does have an advantage with 200 + gr bullets. The 215 Berger is a proven commodity with the WM +H1000.
Brass is a little more common with the WM and there's probably a few more rifles available too. I like the additional case capacity of the WM. From a practical perspective, this is really splitting hairs.

I don't want to shoot the shoulder but if I make a bad shot and hit the shoulder. I think I would be better with the larger caliber?

Don't overthink it. Bigger doesn't make up for a bad shot. Practice and be confident. Decide your personal limitation on distance. Close the distance if needed in the field. Proper shot placement will get 'er done.

If you were going to get one for Elk hunting which would you get. Don't plan on shooting more than 600 yards. I had a 300WSM and shot an Elk at 535 yards ran 20 yards. Sold it to help pay for a 6.5x284 for my sheep hunt. Have never had a 300 mag. I know my 6.5 would get it done at 600 but would like something with a little more for that shot if I don't make the perfect shot and end up in the shoulder.
I have both (three .300 WM and two .300 WSM) and will easily meet your requirements esp. with the right bullet and shot placement. The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. Load it with Berger 205, 215, or 230, and you're golden.

I have both and if I had to give up one of them the WSM would have to go. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just another 30 cal that came along when there was really no void in the 30 cal
market. And that goes for all my WSMs, what ever the caliber my belted version does it better.
:IE 6mm MachIV, 257wby, 264wm, 270wby, 7RemMag and of course the 300wm.

Dean

I have a couple each of both and like them both. The only disadvantage of the WSM is most are built or come with a short action. This makes seating depth (long) for the heavier projectiles such as anything over a 180 grain a challenge. Otherwise, they can be a real tack driver. Lots are being used in the bench rest world with long actions.