300WSM - Is 2720fps too slow?

tom_minnesota

Greetings. I'm just getting into reloading (as in the stuff is still under the x-mas tree). : ) I have a trip coming up though and won't have time to figure everything out. I shot two factory loads through the chrono.
Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds - shot 2920fps.
Nosler Custom 180 gr Accubonds - shot 2720 fps (which I was a little suprised)

The Nosler grouped .5" at 100 yds - the Winchester grouped 1.1" at 100 yds. Most of the shooting on this trip will be 300-400 yds. (about 3" different at 400yds according to the ballistic calc - but 200 lower K.Energy).

Is that too slow in you opinion? I guess I like the accuracy and feel I can place it better.....but want enough juice behind it as well.

Thanks!

2720fps is just fine....for a 30-06.:D

I'd do some shooting with the Winchester and see what kind of groups you are getting at 300-400 yards. See what 1.1" @ 100 yards translates into at your hunting distances.

If it truly is unacceptable to you go ahead and do the same with the Nosler Custom loads. See how they do at your hunting distances.

I'm surprised by the numbers from Nosler as well.

Greetings. I'm just getting into reloading (as in the stuff is still under the x-mas tree). : ) I have a trip coming up though and won't have time to figure everything out. I shot two factory loads through the chrono.
Winchester Supreme 180gr Accubonds - shot 2920fps.
Nosler Custom 180 gr Accubonds - shot 2720 fps (which I was a little suprised)

The Nosler grouped .5" at 100 yds - the Winchester grouped 1.1" at 100 yds. Most of the shooting on this trip will be 300-400 yds. (about 3" different at 400yds according to the ballistic calc - but 200 lower K.Energy).

Is that too slow in you opinion? I guess I like the accuracy and feel I can place it better.....but want enough juice behind it as well.

Thanks!

If you don't have time to hunt for other ammo I would go with the best shooting ammo.

2720 ft/sec is slow for the WSM but that's plenty fast for shooting 400 yards.

The Winchester supreme velocities are going to be hard to beat in a factory load because
the use proprietary powder that was developed for the WSM and cannot be purchased
by any other ammo manufacture. so don't expect any other brand to reach the velocity of
the Winchester brand In the WSMs.

Most Weatherby ammo is hard to duplicate for the same reason.

J E CUSTOM

2720fps is just fine....for a 30-06.:D

I'd do some shooting with the Winchester and see what kind of groups you are getting at 300-400 yards. See what 1.1" @ 100 yards translates into at your hunting distances.

If it truly is unacceptable to you go ahead and do the same with the Nosler Custom loads. See how they do at your hunting distances.

I'm surprised by the numbers from Nosler as well.

Good one!! I wasn't real happy to see the 2720 number (I was having chrono doubts until I shot the Winchester...then followed with the Nosler...then reconfirmed the Winchester).

I think I'll use up the Nosler and then use that brass for my experimentation with the new reloading gear under the tree (I'm excited to get into that......thanks to all of you guys!!). : )

Good one!! I wasn't real happy to see the 2720 number (I was having chrono doubts until I shot the Winchester...then followed with the Nosler...then reconfirmed the Winchester).

I think I'll use up the Nosler and then use that brass for my experimentation with the new reloading gear under the tree (I'm excited to get into that......thanks to all of you guys!!). : )

Shoot them both @ 300-400 yds and compare again. The results may be different. You never know....

In anycase, either load will work fine out to 400 yds.

2720 fps will be just fine for deer/elk out to 4-500 yards. a proper hit will kill either just as dead as any 3300 fps super duper magnum in the world. I have clients show up every year with the newest, fastest and biggest none of which does any good when you can't shoot it. one thing is for sure, no deer or elk will ever know the difference. take the equipment that shoots best. there is a man on long range hunting who's signature say's " a slow hit is better than a fast miss " I don't know who he is but take his advise, he's a smart man.

2720 is slow for a 300wsm but it's sufficient to kill elk at 600 yards with the accubond (nosler recommends a minimum of 1800fps for reliable expansion - starting at 2720, your bullet will reach 1800fps at 600 yards)

Yeah that is slow...

RE19 and if you can find it RE17 is the go once you get your reloading gear. I'm in Australia but I have found similar variations. The 300 wsm responded to RE19 with 180gn pills very well. We even go over 3030fps using the 180gn TTSX Barnes . ADI 2209 ie has a hogdon equivalent which was also slow, so in the wsm stick with the Alliant range IMO. Not that I can get many any other makes down under!.
Very hard to beat Win factory velocity but you could try some Federal ammo?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts