300WSM for moose?

SouthTXBowhunter

What do you think about a 300wsm for Alaskan moose? I know I can go bigger but is it enough, in your opinion, or to 600yds? My buddy that lives in Fairbanks says tons of guys are using 6.5CM out to 300yds with no problem; but I'd definitely like to shoot something with a little more oomph. I've got a trusty Sendaro in 300wm that I could use but I'm in the mood to build something new; and I want to try out a switch-barrel setup. I'm tossing around multiple calibers for the Bighorn TL3 SA I have sitting on a shelf but I just need some validation on 300wsm as a decent choice for a moose.

I was leaning towards pushing something like a Berger 180gr VLD-H or a Hammer Hunter 181gr through a 22"-24" barrel.

Your thoughts?

300 WSM is sufficient for moose obviously the further the distance the more shot placement, and bullet structure is a factor. But the Scandinavians have been taking moose with 6.5's for decades. A 30 cal with proper placement and enough energy with a good shot will drop moose all day.

If I lived in Scandinavia or Newfoundland with a moose around every corner I'd use my .30-30 savage. That wouldn't make it right either. Grizzlies to contend with...?

A trip to AK sure would be loving the .300WSM and your switch barrel idea. 7WSM, 300WSM and .338WSM? I think you will find the 181HH way too long in the .300WSM I called Steve and ordered 166HH and just dialed in a load with the 152HH for deer and bear and less recoil.

My brothers been shooting the 300 wsm and 180 accubonds for moose for 5-6 years now. Accurate, hard hitting, no problems. Just remember bullet construction and capable shooting distance play a big roll.

300 wsm on moose, absolutely plenty of gun there. If those 2 bullets are your only choices then definitely the hammer. If your the wait for the perfect broadside shot type of hunter then the berger will work as well, just keep it away from the shoulder.

Most moose are killed with .308/30-06 class cartridges these days. The 300 WSM should be fine with a good bullet. I used the 181 Hammer on a bull elk and the results were swift.

However, my 2020 bull moose was taken with a 402gr Hammer bullet. That big boy did not like to get hammered that way. :>)

Moose can be incredibly week for their size, they all so can be incredibly strong if filled by adrenaline....... The one I shot with a bow went 30 yards and flopped over legs up from a center, double lung hit. I had just enough time to get a second arrow out, draw back for another shot and it tipped over before I could shoot. However I have heard horror stories of them covering serious ground when hit bad. Like others said, use a good bullet, and place it well and you have plenty of gun!

I hunted moose one time north of Nome, Alaska . I used a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM & was fortunate enough to take a very large bull at 420 yards. One shot with a 168 Barnes TSX bullet. He took two steps stood on his hind legs - then fell over backwards stone cold dead. I have not doubted that round since. I have used the .300 WSM for a variety of game, never a problem.

Attachments

• Alaska Moose.jpg
    Alaska Moose.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 224
I live and hunt in AK, 300 WSM is a great moose choice. Choose the bullet your gun shoots best and hunt with confidence 👍 I like the 200 grain ELD-X.

The 300 WSM is a fantastic moose cartridge and kills far better than anything in 7mm ... or 6.5mm for that matter, I've taken a few & seen truckloads of moose whacked with a 300 WSM in Tikka T3 rifles from 30 to 400 yards without taking a single step

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.