Factory offering would be 165 Barnes ttsx. I've personally witnessed many elk kills to that range and they shoot very accurate. I personally feel like if your hunting inside 600 yds the 165 Barnes/165 accubond is ideal for 308-300wsm on deer through elk sized game. If your looking to step up 180 ttsx/180 accubond. I use the kiss method, it saves me money and puts meat in the freezer. Best wishes to you!

In a world where ammo is hard to come by, I might be in search of something that I can't get.

Like most of us here, I'm looking for a good round with above standard terminal ballistics and a relatively good BC. However, I do realize you usually give up one for the other. Ideally I'd like to start out with a factory round, the start to build from that myself when primers and powder become more available again.

I will primarily use this as a hunting rifle but I do enjoy reaching out when shooting steel. I'd prefer the bullet to preform well and expand at a range from anywhere between 75 and 400 yards as I hunt in a variety of environments fairly regularly.

This rifle has a 22" barrel and a 1:10 twist.

This is my first of either a 300wm or 300wsm so any advice or knowledge from your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Factory or hand loads.

What game do you intend to hunt on a yearly basis with this rig?

Elk/red deer, sheep and some of the species on the larger side of the antelope family every couple years. And I'm sure there will be a few whitetails in there each year

Don't know what's available but for top notch all game all range terminal ballistics with a high bc I doubt it'll be possible to outperform federal terminal ascent or even the old school trophy bonded tip

Out to 400 yards with a 300wsm I don't think BC is something you need to give much thought to. At that range whatever it shoots best is probably your best option. There are so many good options for that scenario. Where to start? Accubonds, bergers, tipped gamekings, partitions, TTSX, etc., etc., etc. I like alot of them, but been using BT(150 &165gr) and accubonds(165 &180gr), handloads and off the shelf in my 300wsm for over 20 years with no problems.

Talked to several barrel makers/gunsmiths about shooting 210's and 212's....all said 10 twist. I bought 10 twist. 212's working well.

180's to 200's would be just about ideal speed from my 26". 24", I'd shoot 180's.

I have killed 3 elk in the last 3 years, from 570 to 200 yds, 2 with the Federal Edge TLR 200 Gr, and last season, 1 with the new Federal Ascent in 175 gr. These bullets have essentially the same internal construction. They are very accurate, and the terminal performance outstanding. The best I have experienced with any bullet other than the Nosler Partition. They work equally as well at 570 yds, as 200 yds.
With that said, I am switching to the Hammer Hunter 181 gr. I have not been able to obtain the Federal bullets for over a year. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the HH, and the guys that build these bullets up in Montana are hunters and know what it takes to put down a big bull, cleanly and quickly. I just found out yesterday, that I was successful in the draw for my Montana elk tag. So I hope to put the HH to test, next October!

I have killed 3 elk in the last 3 years, from 570 to 200 yds, 2 with the Federal Edge TLR 200 Gr, and last season, 1 with the new Federal Ascent in 175 gr. These bullets have essentially the same internal construction. They are very accurate, and the terminal performance outstanding. The best I have experienced with any bullet other than the Nosler Partition. They work equally as well at 570 yds, as 200 yds.
With that said, I am switching to the Hammer Hunter 181 gr. I have not been able to obtain the Federal bullets for over a year. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the HH, and the guys that build these bullets up in Montana are hunters and know what it takes to put down a big bull, cleanly and quickly. I just found out yesterday, that I was successful in the draw for my Montana elk tag. So I hope to put the HH to test, next October!
Congratulations. Best of luck. Hammer seems to be building a great reputation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.