twt17

In a world where ammo is hard to come by, I might be in search of something that I can't get.

Like most of us here, I'm looking for a good round with above standard terminal ballistics and a relatively good BC. However, I do realize you usually give up one for the other. Ideally I'd like to start out with a factory round, the start to build from that myself when primers and powder become more available again.

I will primarily use this as a hunting rifle but I do enjoy reaching out when shooting steel. I'd prefer the bullet to preform well and expand at a range from anywhere between 75 and 400 yards as I hunt in a variety of environments fairly regularly.

This rifle has a 22" barrel and a 1:10 twist.

This is my first of either a 300wm or 300wsm so any advice or knowledge from your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Factory or hand loads.

Sounds like Hornady precision 200gr ELD-x or maybe superformance gmx 165gr for less kick. Ive seen a lot of 200gr ELD-x at gun shows last month.
What are your thoughts on a slow twist like 1:10's ability to stabilize a bullet that heavy?

Federal Premium has a good selection of hunting ammo and has been showing up here in the NW. It isn't the best brass but it is tough to be picky these days. 200's should work fine in 10 twist. Berger has a barrel twist calculator on there website.

Just guessing that you're hunting Whitetails!

If you're looking for a bullet that has decent BC's, and gives very good terminal performance by offering a big, deep wound channel ( quick kills, recovery), easy load development, and likely to have bullet availability......take a look at Hammer Bullets! memtb

Sounds like Hornady precision 200gr ELD-x or maybe superformance gmx 165gr for less kick. Ive seen a lot of 200gr ELD-x at gun shows last month.
I could not get the GMX to work for my 300wm. Best I could do was just under 3" at 100 yards. Everything else from Hornady I've tried is 1" or less if I do my part.

Federal Premium has a good selection of hunting ammo and has been showing up here in the NW. It isn't the best brass but it is tough to be picky these days. 200's should work fine in 10 twist. Berger has a barrel twist calculator on there website.
I have never seen Berger's Twist Rate Stability Calculator before. Just played with that thing for about an hour. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

My Tikka T3 is 11" and handles 180s perfectly, which does great easily, out to 400 yards. I would guess Berger's calculator says you're good for 200. HSM makes off the shelf Berger ammo in a range of weights. You're going to love handloading for this caliber.

I have used the Nosler E Tip[Expansion Tip] in 168 gr but it also comes in 180 gr.Its a mono but shoots great in a friends 270 and my 308 and 30-06.
I would think it would shoot well in 300wsm.
Nosler Accubonds are great bullets in my 300 win mag as well as Hornady Interbond bullets.If I had to choose between both I would take the Interbond.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I have used the Nosler E Tip[Expansion Tip] in 168 gr but it also comes in 180 gr.Its a mono but shoots great in a friends 270 and my 308 and 30-06.
I would think it would shoot well in 300wsm.
Nosler Accubonds are great bullets in my 300 win mag as well as Hornady Interbond bullets.If I had to choose between both I would take the Interbond.
Just my 2 cents
Old Roost
I use Accubonds in my 308. Never used ETips. Regarding expansion, what do you prefer of the two?

I have heard of many recovered bullets in the E Tip but I have shot well over 20 animals with the Accubond and NEVER recovered a bullet yet.
That is not the most important thing anyway but all shots with the Accubond resulted with an animal down,some on the spot and some 10 feet or so.
I can't find the bonded bullet I like the most,the Interbond but I have fell in love with the Accubonds and if you have some and are used to loading for that bullet I would stick with the Accubonds.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

That's probably sound advice.

I have several hundred Accubonds in 168 but I'd like to step up to a heavier bullet for my 300wsm and will be developing loads for the first time for that gun. I have a (sometimes) bad habit of being curious and wanting to try new stuff so that's why I was interested in possibly trying something else. But like any old rooster I've been around, it sounds like you know the game and can outsmart me. You've given me a lot to think about... do I fix it even if it ain't broke?

twt17 I think ALL sportsman are looking to see if what they are using is as good as it gets.
So many bullet makers out there but its hard to let go of a true performer and Accubonds do perform.
Have a great evening.
Old Rooster

Last edited: