300wsm Brass???

That may be some of the issue.
You can't anneal the nickel-plated ones, but I would definitely anneal the brass ones if you want the necks to last longer.
I'm not sure why you can't anneal the nickel plated ones. I did at least 4-6 times and all of those cases are ready to reload today. The nickel plated cases had 4 or 5 reloadings before I started annealing. As I stated previously, not one single case failure of any type.

NorthernHunter 67, do what I did originally and get a propane torch, a socket that your case will fit in, a cordless drill/screwdriver, and a bottle of Tempilaq 750. I used that method for several years before I went to the salt bath. Just watch the Templiaq, which you paint on the inside of a case neck and when it turns to clear drop that case in water. It's simple, easy and effective. Oh, and it's pretty inexpensive to get stated with.

If you want to see if it really makes a difference, do a batch of cases annealed after each reload and a batch of cases that you never anneal. I'd be willing to bet you'll see proof after a short time.

Neck sizing has nothing to do with primer pockets being junk, unless you really bump your shoulders back alot.
I would find out if you can get ADG in Canada and get on there waiting list for there 300WSM brass to come out.
Guarantee you it will be gone very quick when it does.

Hello Reloaders,
I've been loading 300wsm for 10 years with a stock of 300 cases, mostly Federal nickel-plated and standard Winchester brass. Some cases have been loaded 3-4 times. I mostly neck size. I'm starting to get up to 10-15% split necks in both Fed and Win cases plus a few stretched primer pockets in the Federals. Currently, the only other brass available in Canada is Nosler in 25 case packs at $116.00($4.40/case). Lapua doesn't seem to make 300wsm for some reason, Norma and Hornady are out of stock.
So, is Nosler 300wsm worth $4.40($3.50US) per case???
Grafs & Sons (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/755?) currently have Nosler, but I am not sure if they will ship to Canada. It might be worth a call for verification.

You can get ADG brass through RPS International in Alberta i believe is where there at.

I'm not sure why you can't anneal the nickel plated ones. I did at least 4-6 times and all of those cases are ready to reload today. The nickel plated cases had 4 or 5 reloadings before I started annealing. As I stated previously, not one single case failure of any type.
Nickel doesn't anneal at the same temperature as brass. So, you might end up annealing the brass underneath, but you're not affecting the nickel, good or bad.

I load right at max and have gotten more than 7 reloads from my winchester brass. Perhaps your chamber is a little generous in the neck area. Take some caliper readings from fired brass to check the OD readings to see if they match up to Specs. I also am a fan of Nosler brass as I have found it very consistent weight wise and dimensionally perfect in new form. However at $1 ea. it is too costly to use for practice and I reserve the 50 or so that I have for hunting loads.

Hello Reloaders,
I've been loading 300wsm for 10 years with a stock of 300 cases, mostly Federal nickel-plated and standard Winchester brass. Some cases have been loaded 3-4 times. I mostly neck size. I'm starting to get up to 10-15% split necks in both Fed and Win cases plus a few stretched primer pockets in the Federals. Currently, the only other brass available in Canada is Nosler in 25 case packs at $116.00($4.40/case). Lapua doesn't seem to make 300wsm for some reason, Norma and Hornady are out of stock.
So, is Nosler 300wsm worth $4.40($3.50US) per case???
NH67 - just went on Wolverine G&T's (Red Deer) website and they have 6 bags (50) of Winchester 300WSM in stock for $72 Cdn each - Cabela's online has same for $80. I found 100 Rem a month or 2 ago (Prophet River) and haven't seen any since. TNT (Regina) also has some Win but $85 and says it's going up. Would never pay $4 a case for Nosler - while not my first choice Win is a much better value IMO and will do the job with a little prep. I can't say I've had any neck splits (Rem or Win) but I keep working of brass to minimum (bump .002) and anneal (SBA) every 2-3 firings. I'm at 7x fired still with good pockets - like fast but don't push for every last FPS in my loads so think that helps extend case life.

Last edited:
Neck sizing has nothing to do with primer pockets being junk, unless you really bump your shoulders back alot.
I would find out if you can get ADG in Canada and get on there waiting list for there 300WSM brass to come out.
Guarantee you it will be gone very quick when it does

Thanks for the heads up on that! Gary at Bighorn is our guy in Canada for ADG. I'm going to call him today and preorder as much as I can afford.

I'm not sure why you can't anneal the nickel-plated ones. I did at least 4-6 times and all of those cases are ready to reload today. The nickel-plated cases had 4 or 5 reloadings before I started annealing. As I stated previously, not one single case failure of any type.
I don't know if it matters but they were Federal bulk packs of 100 and they all needed full-length sizing and trimming before I used them, I think they were factory seconds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.