300WSM A bolt magazine length

AxeArms

I have a Browning A bolt in 300WSM that I am trying a couple Barnes long range hunter loads, but I ran into an issue. I tried seating the 200 grain LRX bullet to .030 off the lands, but it is too long for the magazine. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket magazines that allow a longer overall length? My dad has an A bolt in 300 Win Mag with the same issue.

Kevin

I shot accubonds out of mine basically as long as would fit.Shorter than barnes bullet,I did shoot some barnes also.If you want longer seat you can single load.

I have a Browning A bolt in 300WSM that I am trying a couple Barnes long range hunter loads, but I ran into an issue. I tried seating the 200 grain LRX bullet to .030 off the lands, but it is too long for the magazine. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket magazines that allow a longer overall length? My dad has an A bolt in 300 Win Mag with the same issue.

Kevin

Kevin,

Have you single shot the .030" off the lands yet? It might not even be your rifle's sweet spot to worry about ... if you have not done so, I say give it a try first!

My Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM can take a COAL up to 3.003". I'm currently loading Berger 215s with COAL of 2.975" and CBTO of 2.206" which puts me .071" off the lands. I have not settled on seating depth or powder but I'm getting .5 -.75 MOA @ 100 yards now.

Good luck!

Ed

Kevin

I had the same problem in my Browning A-Bolt 2, currently chambered in 7 saum.
My gunsmith is quite a welder and offered to extend the mag for me. He cut off the rear of the mag and welded in a 1/8 ish piece to each side then welded the back.
The interior length of a my wsm mag now measures 3.045 or so, an improvement from the original 2.890.

At 2.923 I am into the lands and am happy with the extended mag.
If you want to see it, I'll try to get a picture.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.