300WSM - 190 ABLR - Winner

Muddyboots

OK, once in a while the planets do seem to line up for me and I am very happy with the load I now have for my recent 300WSM build. First build and not very in depth from maxing out but was what I wanted to try to kick the tires on builds. Now I see what can be achieved and boy am I in trouble now. Heck, I may even build a .270WIN since that thread is not slowing down at all!:eek:

700 SA (stock action and bolt), Timney trigger, 26" Preferred barrel, Sendero contour, spiral fluted, 5R, 1:10 since I was going to shoot mostly 200 and less in it. The magazine has max of 2.95 so I asked Marshal of Preferred Barrel to throat at bottom end of SAAMI so I have better chance of chasing lands which was done perfectly and can chase most bullets and stay inside max COAL of magazine. Plus I can chase the throat a bit easier as round totals up.

190 ABLR
0.010 setback for CBTO of 2.251
COAL = 2.928
RL-16
3,016 fps averaged over 20 rounds
ES: 13 SD: 6 (20 rounds on target with two 10 round groups)
Barrel cool down after each 5 rounds which is my normal anyway to ambient with bait bucket aerator pump

The groups are well inside 0.5 MOA at 100 yards which is all I have to work with in my yard but I expect it will do fine when I get back to club for 300+. The load just seems to be so spot on that I am extremely confident going forward which translates I am going to get blindsided for sure! I guess I am posting this up since this is one of my bright spots in our home time coping with this crap.

FYI - this barrel has been a joy to clean with very little effort and really doesn't copper up at all. I knew it was going to be OK when there is very little drag on patches when cleaning.

So if you haven't tried RL16 with 190 ABLR it may be worth doing so. The usual warnings on posted loads applies here since this load is for my barrel ONLY so you are required to work up your own load data accordingly.

Attachments

• Muddyboots.190.ABLR.pdf
    980.1 KB · Views: 547
Wow, I'm surprised you got those ABLRs to shoot that well. I've never had any luck with them out of several different rifles. How far off the lands are you? Those are some dang nice 10 shot groups!!

Probably my best ever 10 shot groups which is why I thought the RL16 may have some interest for some. I am 0.010 off the lands. This is a unique throat that I asked for that it is on the short side of SAAMI to allow me better chance of chasing lands and staying inside my max COAL mag length. I will say it does have some limitations for some bullets depending upon secant ogive etc. My Sendero in 300WM "use" to be able to shoot similar but after 1,000+ it is starting to open up.

Awesome job! Gotta love it when a plan comes together. Well thought through going with the shorter throat vs mag length. Proofs in the puddin there.

Also, I didn't drink coffee for 3 days which is huge for me. The scope visual was the best I have had in long time so coffee is my problem for sure and drink too much of it at times which DOES affect my calmness behind rifle a LOT. The weather was PERFECT. 64 degrees, 65% humidity or so, zero wind at all, clear blue skies so like I said the planets lined up for this load test. The feeling I had on trigger was like I haven't had in years. Like some people say I felt like I was in the ZONE! Remind me of this when I miss a nice shooter at 150 yards. 😂

Those groups mirror what I get outta my 300WM with 210gr ABLR @ 100mtr, doesn't change much @ 200mtr either.
I also run 142gr ABLR outta my 264WM and 6.5x47 with similar results.

Cheers.

Fantastic groups! Looks like that project came together nicely.

I'm shooting the 190 ABLR in my 30/06. So far, I like them enough to keep paying (what I think is a ) premium price for them.

Glad to see your long wait and smart choices were worth it.

Those groups mirror what I get outta my 300WM with 210gr ABLR @ 100mtr, doesn't change much @ 200mtr either.
I also run 142gr ABLR outta my 264WM and 6.5x47 with similar results.

Cheers.
What is your 210 ABLR recipe?

I rarely post my recipes, as I run custom chambers/throats to achieve what I want out of my rifles.
The powder I'm using is RETUMBO in Remington brass, WLRM primers, that's all I will say.

Cheers.

I run 190 vlds on top of ramshot magnum in mine stock sps rem in a bell and Carlson with a huskemaw never shoots above .5 routinely goes into the .3 range when I do my part

Muddyboots,
I was able to get almost the exact same results with my 300 WSM and 190 ABLRs. .010 jump running 3002fps with a load of RL-17 instead. Groups look almost identical to yours. I switched over to the 200.20x Berger though because they shoot just a hair better out if my gun but look a lot cooler.lol. I keep telling myself I'm going to go back to the 190s with RL-26 so see what speed I can get them up too but haven't had the time yet. One day I will.

OK, once in a while the planets do seem to line up for me and I am very happy with the load I now have for my recent 300WSM build. First build and not very in depth from maxing out but was what I wanted to try to kick the tires on builds. Now I see what can be achieved and boy am I in trouble now. Heck, I may even build a .270WIN since that thread is not slowing down at all!:eek:

700 SA (stock action and bolt), Timney trigger, 26" Preferred barrel, Sendero contour, spiral fluted, 5R, 1:10 since I was going to shoot mostly 200 and less in it. The magazine has max of 2.95 so I asked Marshal of Preferred Barrel to throat at bottom end of SAAMI so I have better chance of chasing lands which was done perfectly and can chase most bullets and stay inside max COAL of magazine. Plus I can chase the throat a bit easier as round totals up.

190 ABLR
0.010 setback for CBTO of 2.251
COAL = 2.928
RL-16
3,016 fps averaged over 20 rounds
ES: 13 SD: 6 (20 rounds on target with two 10 round groups)
Barrel cool down after each 5 rounds which is my normal anyway to ambient with bait bucket aerator pump

The groups are well inside 0.5 MOA at 100 yards which is all I have to work with in my yard but I expect it will do fine when I get back to club for 300+. The load just seems to be so spot on that I am extremely confident going forward which translates I am going to get blindsided for sure! I guess I am posting this up since this is one of my bright spots in our home time coping with this crap.

FYI - this barrel has been a joy to clean with very little effort and really doesn't copper up at all. I knew it was going to be OK when there is very little drag on patches when cleaning.

So if you haven't tried RL16 with 190 ABLR it may be worth doing so. The usual warnings on posted loads applies here since this load is for my barrel ONLY so you are required to work up your own load data accordingly.
That's a great feat to get the ABLRs to shoot consistently. I'm line others on this thread, I've tried them in a custom 7mm LRM and my custom 6.5 PRC and they can't hold a candle to Bergers and ELDx's. The bullet that shot crazy good from 2 different 300 WSMs I was loading for was the Berger 190 VLD. I was using IMR4350 in both.

Good stuff! I tried 185 VLD Hunter and just could'nt get good consistent groups.,Did the Berger seating depth etc just didn't happen. Love RL17 but believe it toasted my previous barrel throat so trying to stay away. I hope this wasn't anomaly and stays consistent. The barrel likes 200AB as well but only at 2825 so was hoping fir little more velocity. I also tried Speer 190 Impacts and they shot well but not as good as the ABLR. My 300WM Sendero puked on the ABLR but shoots 200AB great, So I keep trying just in case and glad I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.