300wsm 1:12 twist Biggest Bc COPPER bullets I can run?

BoltActionBrotherhood

I have a 20 inch 300wsm barreled action, that is in 1:12 twist I am using it for a long-range lightweight hunting rig. With 1000 yard potential. What is the biggest bullet that will work with this slow of a twist? I am in California, so I need to run full copper.
I reload, so I am looking for the best and heaviest bullet I can find that will stabilize in this twist.
Barnes seems were I am gravitating, but they suck at listing their twist rates. but would love to find something in the 175+ Range.
Thanks guys .

I know that I could shoot Barnes 168s out of my 12t 300 WSM.
70gr + - RL17 = 3400 + fps

Dean

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

That goes for the TTSX as well as they TSX, I pulled apart one of the rounds I have and the load was 72gr of RL17. With there short bearing surface they tend to be faster, less friction and less pressure signs for some reason, the barrel is a 12t 30" zero free bore. I have had them going even faster than that but I won't get into to that. It is no secret I load my brass like I am mad at it or it pPissed me off, I have a buddy that is proud to say that he gets almost 30 cycles from his 6br brass I typicaly get 3 cycles LOL

Dean

PS: I would like to make something perfectly clear, If I post something it is because I have done it and have done it several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke or a one off. To be truthful I enjoy seeing what I can get away with as far as building pressure that I do shooting targets or varmints

Last edited:
That goes for the TTSX as well as they TSX, I pulled apart one of the rounds I have and the load was 72gr of RL17. With there short bearing surface they tend to be faster, less friction and less pressure signs for some reason, the barrel is a 12t 30" zero free bore. I have had them going even faster than that but I won't get into to that. It is no secret I load my brass like I am mad at it or it pPissed me off, I have a buddy that is proud to say that he gets almost 30 cycles from his 6br brass I typicaly get 3 cycles LOL

Dean

PS: I would like to make something perfectly clear, If I post something it is because I have done it and have done it several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke or a one off. To be truthful I enjoy seeing what I can get away with as far as building pressure that I do shooting targets or varmints
I'm the same way man. I got my 6.5 Creedmoor to shoot the 153 atips at 3050 fps in a 26 inch barrel.
heavy pressure started at 3000 fps. But before that, it was good to go. The load I landed on was 2910 fps for that powder.

I originaly built that barrel to shoot 110gr at over 4000 FPS which it does flawlesly, I just kept going up in bullet weight to see what I could get away with the 168gr is as far as I got. I was not really interested in anything heavier than that the speed demon in me won't allow it, and it is also against my religion. LOL

Dean

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.