300WM to 280AI

KSB209

Please forgive my ignorance but I have a 300 WM built of a 7mm Remington action. Can I turn this into a 280AI? I want something new and just curious if the 300 action can be used for a 280AI. It already has a McMillan A5 stock so if all I need to do is replace the barrel that would be an easy conversion I just don't know

You'd need a standard bolt (.473") if you wanted to go to a 280ai. If want to go to .284 bullet just go back to a 7 mag. You'd probably run into issues with feed rails as well considering it's a Mag action now, unless you're set up for a DBM.

Sorry I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Just learning. I'm more of a shooter then a builder so I don't know what's what. I thought any "long action" bolt could be turned into any long action rifle. Guess I'm wrong.

Not a problem. Bolt size on a Mag is .532" and for the standard cartridge it's .473". If you're shooting a savage style action it's as easy as changing the bolt head. Rem/Win style you'll have to swap bolts. If your rifle has a BDL/ADL style magazine you'll also run into feeding issues if trying to go to a non magnum round. If you're into reloading and don't mind a wildcat maybe the 7 Sherman magnum?

Sorry I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Just learning. I'm more of a shooter then a builder so I don't know what's what. I thought any "long action" bolt could be turned into any long action rifle. Guess I'm wrong.
As @Ross1147 noted, you have a .532" bolt face. FYSA, check out this link for face bolt/action compatibility >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bolt-face-diameters.36661/

Is there something wrong or something you do not like, i.e., too much recoil, about your 7MM RM? Just curious why you stepped down from .300 WM to 7MM RM, and now to .280 AI.

Looks like I had a typo on my OP. I had a 7mm and when I went to rebarrel it the gunsmith talked me into a 300wm. It is a heavy gun and I'm thinking about putting on a carbon fiber barrel and my thought was to go 280AI because of recoil. I don't mind the recoil of the mags but for some reason I have had 280AI on my mind for some time now.

might just put on a CF barrel and add a break to the 300 and buy another 280ai down the road.

thanks for educating me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.