300WM Sendero re-design

ATH

I have a 300WM Sendero which was my first centerfire rifle, and my first long range rig (circa 2004-2005. I took my first several long range animals with this rifle, 500-800 yards.

At 11.4lbs with optics it's not exactly a light rifle. Last year I added an Edge to the stable, which comes in just a couple pounds heavier. So now I find myself rarely shooting/carrying the 300WM, as if I need that kind of power I might as well step up to the Edge.

I just got back from a WY hunt and really felt the gap between my routine lighter hunting rifle in 243AI and the Edge. The Sendero doesn't fill the gap because it really isn't much more carryable than the Edge. I find myself looking to re-design it to the ultimate do-all rifle, retaining the 300WM chambering. Something with much more power than the 243AI but similar carry/pointability.

From the numbers, it looks like I can drop 1/2 lb going from the factory HS Precision stock to a McMillan Game Scout. I've been moving all my hunting rifles to the A3 grip style, I've really hated that HS stock style on the 300. Most importantly, it looks like I drop about a pound going to a McGowen #4 contour barrel; I'd shorten to a 24" from the current 26" but don't credit weight loss to the shorter barrel as I'd have a Heathen brake on, though perhaps remove for hunting.

Any thoughts on going to a 4 contour for a 300WM expected to still be amenable to 500-800 yard shots at 24"? I primarily shoot 200 Accubonds.

I'd retain the current Burrist XTR 4-20, though likely look to switch out the rail and XTR rings for Talley one piece mounts for more weight savings...if the 34mm version ever become available.

Hunted with a guy last year that had a sendero with a 26 proof on it in 28 Nosler and that rifle was sweet rig.

I do see the advantage of having all your hunting rifles having the same or similar grips. Especially if you've grown to dislike the hs stock ditch it. Life's too short to have rifles you dislike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 300WM Sendero which was my first centerfire rifle, and my first long range rig (circa 2004-2005. I took my first several long range animals with this rifle, 500-800 yards.

At 11.4lbs with optics it's not exactly a light rifle. Last year I added an Edge to the stable, which comes in just a couple pounds heavier. So now I find myself rarely shooting/carrying the 300WM, as if I need that kind of power I might as well step up to the Edge.

I just got back from a WY hunt and really felt the gap between my routine lighter hunting rifle in 243AI and the Edge. The Sendero doesn't fill the gap because it really isn't much more carryable than the Edge. I find myself looking to re-design it to the ultimate do-all rifle, retaining the 300WM chambering. Something with much more power than the 243AI but similar carry/pointability.

From the numbers, it looks like I can drop 1/2 lb going from the factory HS Precision stock to a McMillan Game Scout. I've been moving all my hunting rifles to the A3 grip style, I've really hated that HS stock style on the 300. Most importantly, it looks like I drop about a pound going to a McGowen #4 contour barrel; I'd shorten to a 24" from the current 26" but don't credit weight loss to the shorter barrel as I'd have a Heathen brake on, though perhaps remove for hunting.

Any thoughts on going to a 4 contour for a 300WM expected to still be amenable to 500-800 yard shots at 24"? I primarily shoot 200 Accubonds.

I'd retain the current Burrist XTR 4-20, though likely look to switch out the rail and XTR rings for Talley one piece mounts for more weight savings...if the 34mm version ever become available.
For a carry weight rifle the factory magnum contour is pretty acceptable in terms of both weight and stiffness.

My preference runs towards the number 3.5 or "magnum bull contour" which if I remember right finishes somewhere around .75 or .775. I like a little extra weight and length out front with my magnums to help with both stability and muzzle flip.

I have a Sendero II that I bought with plans of burning out the factory barrel, Ive used it to play with load development, ladders, different reloading techniques and shooting out to 1K. I think I'm at 400 rounds and it is holding well under half MOA at all distances. Anyway The plan to burn the barrel out is so I can go with a proof research sendero, have the action trued bolt fluted, throw the BA into a manners mini chasis. Im hoping to get it to 10 pounds or so with an optic. Don't know that I would enjoy shooting that rifle much if it was much lighter than that.

If you're not utilizing the .300 Win. Mag. as frequently as you did pre-Edge, I can suggest switching up and using a 7mm Rem Mag. and the 180 grain Berger VLD Hunter bullet for a combination that will out perform your choice for the .300 Win. Mag. I use the Bartlein 3 or 3b contour for hunter rifles and one of either McMillan's CF stocks or Manners CF hunter style stocks. Your grip preference should be important as you will hold, shoulder, sight in and shoot more consistently. Add the Talley mounts but let your gunsmith know that some of these are getting by QC and do not sit straight on the actions.

With proper load development you can see good improvements in drop and drift as well as remaining energy at your target distances over your 300. My normal load is running just a hair over 2,950 fps with the above Berger. Add on the Swarovsky Z5 3.5-18 x 44 (16 oz) and you'll be all set.

This can be a very handy set up when the components are selected carefully for weight and handling characteristics.

If you're not utilizing the .300 Win. Mag. as frequently as you did pre-Edge, I can suggest switching up and using a 7mm Rem Mag. and the 180 grain Berger VLD Hunter bullet for a combination that will out perform your choice for the .300 Win. Mag. I use the Bartlein 3 or 3b contour for hunter rifles and one of either McMillan's CF stocks or Manners CF hunter style stocks. Your grip preference should be important as you will hold, shoulder, sight in and shoot more consistently. Add the Talley mounts but let your gunsmith know that some of these are getting by QC and do not sit straight on the actions.

With proper load development you can see good improvements in drop and drift as well as remaining energy at your target distances over your 300. My normal load is running just a hair over 2,950 fps with the above Berger. Add on the Swarovsky Z5 3.5-18 x 44 (16 oz) and you'll be all set.

This can be a very handy set up when the components are selected carefully for weight and handling characteristics.

This is where I'd go with it. The 180 berger or 175 eld-x will buck the wind better and retain velocity better than all but the heaviest of 30 cal boolets.

Look at the z5 or a vx6 3-18 for weight savings over the Burris. Go with Talley or an aluminum rail and seekins rings. Just s little more weight then the Talleys.

You could go whole hog and install a sendero light profile carbon barrel.

I should clarify that I do all the work on my rifles, so the barrel needs to come as a Remage which I don't believe Proof offers. That also would double the barrel price.

The reason for switching the stock is that I have grown to greatly prefer the A3 style grip and this is my last bolt action rifle lacking one...in addition to it dropping 1/2 pound.

I appreciate the 7mmMag proposal; in a lighter gun this is a good recommendation. But I personally prefer .30+ in an elk rifle and am already set up for 300WM and well-stocked in components.

Carbonsix offers carbon remage prefits. Carbon would be the way I'd go with wanting to cut weight.
With cutting weight I'd also consider dropping to a 7mm rem mag and using the 180s, just for the less recoil and better performance ballistically.
If you like a3 stock go for it. Comfort improves your shooting and the shooter is generally the weakest link.
Those are my suggestions and it's literally what I'm having a rifle rebarreled with, so I guess I put my money where my mouth is lol.
If you're wanting to remain 300wm why not swap stocks and see if you start hunting with it more?

Carbonsix offers carbon remage prefits. Carbon would be the way I'd go with wanting to cut weight.
With cutting weight I'd also consider dropping to a 7mm rem mag and using the 180s, just for the less recoil and better performance ballistically.
If you like a3 stock go for it. Comfort improves your shooting and the shooter is generally the weakest link.
Those are my suggestions and it's literally what I'm having a rifle rebarreled with, so I guess I put my money where my mouth is lol.
If you're wanting to remain 300wm why not swap stocks and see if you start hunting with it more?

Thank you for the CarbonSix recommendation; I've never heard of them. I'll have to research; do you have any personal experience with them?

Switching the stock is a half-fix, I'm seeking a lighter and handier rifle overall so I need to address the barrel too.

I Think PVA will remage a proof if you email them. I know they will do it for shouldered prefits

Thank you for the CarbonSix recommendation; I've never heard of them. I'll have to research; do you have any personal experience with them?

Switching the stock is a half-fix, I'm seeking a lighter and handier rifle overall so I need to address the barrel too.
No experience with carbonsix but I think they use McGowan blanks.
They've been having sales so might be able to get a Cf barrel for not too much more.

No experience with carbonsix but I think they use McGowan blanks.
They've been having sales so might be able to get a Cf barrel for not too much more.

I've had REALLY good luck with McGowen barrels, so this is a plus. I was looking at a McGowen Remage to begin with. Just need to think on the pros/cons/cost....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.