300WM....Remington vs Tikka.....vs Savage

Deederswy

Hello everyone,

Im in the market for a new 300WM, I don't have the money to custom build but I want a rifle that will be accurate beyond 800 yards. I have it narrowed down to 2 choices(kind of), either a Remington 700 or a Tikka T3x(now hold on tikka fans…). With the Remingtons, I would either go with the XCR Tac(26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barrel, B&C stock, 1:10), the 700 5R Gen 2(24" 5R stainless fluted and threaded barrel, HS stock, 1:10) or the AWR(24" 5R stainless barrel, grayboe stock, 1:10) and as for the Tikka T3x stainless, it comes with a 24" stainless barrel but its only a 1:11 twist. (THERE ARE TOO MANY VERSIONS OF THE 700!!! HA!)

I would think with just the figures above, the Remington would be the way to go but it seems that the CQ has gone down a bunch, at least with the stories that ive read and people seem to really like Tikka and say they shoot well(guaranteed sub MOA). The common issues with the Tikkas that I find is the 1:11 twist and the mags are too short so youre hard pressed or simply cant shoot 210-215gr bullets which anything shorter seems to really hold back the 300WM. With those limiting issues, id be more apt to learn towards one of the Remington's but im a bit gun shy due to the stories that ive read how Remington rifles aren't all that good anymore. I will be hand loading and hunting elk and possibly moose if I ever draw! I also hunt at 7000'-9000' elevation.

On second thought, lets throw in another rifle, Savage 11/111(26" Carbon barrel, accutrigger, accustock, Adjustable comb, Adjustable muzzlebrake) PS – I don't care what they look like or if they are an eye sore…

None of the above...a plain Jane T/C Venture/Icon will be fine for big game and you'll have lots of money left to put towards a better scope...not everything that's whiney is gold !

Shot a T3 in 300 WM Sat for the first time. 215 Bergers. I was impressed. For the $ this would be a one of my choices. I have the 5R also and am a Remington fan, but the weight on the 5R isn't fun as a carry rifle.

Rem 700 5R Milspec and 5R Gen2 are hard to beat... Once you shoot one that puts down .25x" and .35x" groups on average makes it hard to recommend anything else for the money.

There is no way I would choose a Tikka in 300WM for a long range hunting rig. Tikka's are awesome rifles but not for a 300WM. As stated the twists are too slow and magazines too short.

I'll throw out a vote for the Savage. I'm a Savage supporter though, I'll
20170703_133141.jpg
admit it. But when your stock barrel, action, and trigger rifle puts 3 different charge weights into .367" at 220yds you can't really complain.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.