.300WM OAL

sakofan

I shoot a Sako 75 .300WM, that seems to have an exceptionally long throat. No, I havent checked it with a guage, but I have checked it with the "split case" method.

I usually seat my 175gr. SMK's around 3.50 with pretty good accuracy. But, I could go as far as 3.670, which is into the lands.

My question is, without too much problem with pressure how far up can I go?? Or better yet, should I go??..TIA..sakofan...

The 300WM is notorious for this problem. I would seat it wherever the rifle shoots the best whether it be in the lands or a few thousandths out. As long as you adjust the powder charge accourdingly to suit the anticipated pressure increase, you shouldn't have any problems. The only issue you may run into is the COAL being too long to fit in the magazine. I shoot the 200SMK @ 3.553" and it no longer fits the mag, but it's deadly accurate. Fair trade off in my book! Good luck.

TH

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.