300wm hates Berger’s.

LR Guru

Formerly '300NM_guru'
So after extensive load development and different setting depths I just come to the understanding my rifle hates 215 Berger's. So I went out and bought 210 ABLR and 225eldm (208s are non existent) I've done a lot of research on the 2 bullets all my shooting can be anywhere from 50 yards to 800. What bullet should I focus on? I can't return the bullets so I will sell them to someone at marked sticker price if I don't use the other

I ended up doing a seating depth test first with the Berger 215 Hybrid. Then I did an OCW test. I need up with a really accurate load. (H1000, Norma brass, CCI Large Rifle Magnum prime)

I've tried to get the ABLR to work in two other applications without success so I have dropped those.

I don't have any experience with the ELD-M

I ended up doing a seating depth test first with the Berger 215 Hybrid. Then I did an OCW test. I need up with a really accurate load. (H1000, Norma brass, CCI Large Rifle Magnum prime)

I've tried to get the ABLR to work in two other applications without success so I have dropped those.

I don't have any experience with the ELD-M
I never really thought of the OCW test but I know my barrel doesn't like them but I can give it a shot what do I got to lose

But do a seating depth test first.

The first time I tried the 215 Hybrid I couldn't get it to shoot very well. I set it aside for a couple years and then recently tried it again. I'm glad I did.

My 300 WM liked the ELDM and hated the ABLR. I had better luck with regular AB (180 and 200) and they work well on elk out to 1000yds when I've used them at elevations around 8k'.

I've run 178, 208, 225.

A) 178 excellent groups but poor performance on elk, they were not consistent on game. Some penciled through and others exploded. These were at 750yds.

B) A 208 bit better on game performance but not always providing expansion and pass through. Elk was at 570yds and 650yds.

C) The 225 were about the same as 208s but not good enough for me to put down my old faithful 200 AB.

Hope that helped.

Barrel twist was 9.4/1 and I always shoot for the chest to save meat.

I've run 178, 208, 225.

A) 178 excellent groups but poor performance on elk, they were not consistent on game. Some penciled through and others exploded. These were at 750yds.

B) A 208 bit better on game performance but not always providing expansion and pass through. Elk was at 570yds and 650yds.

C) The 225 were about the same as 208s but not good enough for me to put down my old faithful 200 AB.

Hope that helped.

Barrel twist was 9.4/1 and I always shoot for the chest to save meat.
Maybe I'll try to return or sell the eldm and run the Accubond. So you got better performance and accuracy with the AB the the LR. I just don't wanna shoot an elk at 50 and it explodes

Maybe I'll try to return or sell the eldm and run the Accubond. So you got better performance and accuracy with the AB the the LR. I just don't wanna shoot an elk at 50 and it explodes

I've had great experiences with the regular AB in everything from a 270 win up to a 338LM from point blank all the way out to 1050ish. I always lose about 30% of bullet weight and it always stays together (when I recover them). I can't speak to ABLR performance on game, just never got accuracy that I was comfortable with for LRH.

My current 300 WM likes 200 gr much better (.30 MOA) than 180 (.65 MOA) but both have worked great on game. I use H4831SC, CCI 450, ADG Brass, and seat them about .050" jump to begin with. I know others that have had luck closer but Nosler recommended to me to start there and it always worked. All my chambers are SAAMI cut.

I'm sure other bullets will work as well. Good luck.

Is your twist rate enough to properly stabilize the 215's? At my elevation in a 10 twist barrel in cold temps the 215 is marginally stable yet the 210 HVLD is completely stable and performs wonderfully. Perhaps try a little lighter bullet. Always been a fan of the Accubonds.

Why not try hammers at your distance.
I went for the 215's to the 181 hammers and they shoot great and hold a nice groups at 1000.
Just a thought. At 800 you ya e plenty left and you know it can't fail at close range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.