300wm and 240SMK

Ksmirk

Ok fella's I've been searching and I'm not having much luck so thought I would ask if anyone has played with the 240SMK's in their 300WM's? this is a long chamber with an ogive of 2.932" and COAL of 3.500". I set the rifle up for the 215 Berger and well my barrel hates them for some stupid reason so trying other bullets. I'd appreciate some info if you have any to offer as it doesn't seem to be out there or I just suck at searching for it. Thanks

Kirk

I played around with the 240 SMK a bit. I used H4831sc and H-1000. Sierra edition 5, 300 WM, lists 64.3g as the starting charge and 71.8g as the max. H-1000 starts at 67.7g as starting charge and 75.0g as max.
I never found anything in my rifle with the SD I was looking for with H4831sc, H-1000 was better in my rig. You may also want to try Retumbo, it will give you even better case fill.

I had better SD's with the H1000 but I have close to 6# of Retumbo left over from a past project :) I chambered this rifle for the 215's boat tail junction to be at the neck shoulder junction since it's just a single shot and velocity and SD's were pretty fair just never could get it to shoot the Berger's which is sad as its a hell of a bullet! it is a 1-9 twist barrel.... wish I knew Sierra was coming out with the 230's!

Thanks for posting the book loads! I don't have anything these days as I've given manuals to folks I've helped get started and most of the stuff I have I've already had loads worked up or there is no book data for the rounds. Thanks for the info sir!

Kirk

You bet! My rifle never really got where I wanted it to be with the 240 SMK. Hopefully yours likes them! I ended up running the 230 Berger OTM tactical as the 215 hybrids were inobtainium at the time I was working up a load for my rig. The seating depth really made no difference, in the end after testing, I just seat it to feed out of the magazine reliably with the best SD I could muster and dump everything I send it after.

why don't you try the Hornady 225 hpbt?? Both of my 300 rum rifles love this bullet with either rl33 or rl50... It isn't fussy at all and is just about what you are looking for...

why don't you try the Hornady 225 hpbt?? Both of my 300 rum rifles love this bullet with either rl33 or rl50... It isn't fussy at all and is just about what you are looking for...
I've yet to give them a go yet, in the past I've not had much luck with the hornady bullets but with this rifle I feel it could be worth a look! it's my red headed stepchild for sure.

That 240 is going to be slow as hell coming out of a 300WM. Have you given the 220 a look?
This rifle is throated a bit longer than a sammi chamber so I've got some more case space for powder so probably better than you'd expect, had the Berger 215's up to 3065fps then got the retumbo pressure spike but hey I'd rather hit a target slow than miss it fast ;)

Kirk

Hear that for sure. Just a lot of bearing surface and B.C of the 240SMK isn't all that great compared to other available bullets.

I won't argue that with you at all! just so far the newer slicker bullets are kinda lacking in this barrel :( I'm sure sooner or later I'll run across something it likes OR I'll unscrew it and put another one on :)

Kirk

I didn't read all the post. So it may have been answered.
Did you consider the 230 Berger?
208 ELD?

I didn't read all the post. So it may have been answered.
Did you consider the 230 Berger?
208 ELD?
After the 215's no I haven't considered them, I'd rather keep in the 215 up weight range as hits at range are easier to see and hear, I'm not a tipped bullet fan unless it's varmint bullets as well as not much luck with Hornady bullets except in .224 and .172 but I've sure wished I'd have had luck with them as they are a touch less expensive.

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts