.300WM 208Gr amax throat question

.300wm

Hey guys,

Loving this forum, wishing I had joined years ago :)

I have got a new Lothar-Walther fitted onto my Rem 700 .300WM and it has been cut with a standard SAAMI/CIP chamber. I got it in a 1-8 twist with the plan to shoot 208gr Amax bullets.

My question is: will I be able to loads to the bullets full potential with a standard length throat or will I end up with compressed loads and not enough space for powder? Wanting to use Vihtavuori N165.

Thanks

AL

Have you measured what your max coal would be? Plenty of youtube videos on this. Then compare to book data on compressed loads

Hey thanks for the reply,

Not yet as the gun is still with the gunsmith and has to go to the proof house first before I can have it back. I will use my Hornady OAL gauge and measure when I get it back. Was just wondering what everyones experiences have been.

Thanks

You will probably have to run a faster powder like Re22 or 7828. Will have compression issues with H-1000.

As stated, you will have to measure and see. I shoot 208 Amax's in my 300wm. My rifle has a longer throat but I am at max powder charge with reloader 22 and still have room in the case. With reloader 22 I am getting 2940 out of the 208 and it shoots awesome!

Hey guys,

Loving this forum, wishing I had joined years ago :)

I have got a new Lothar-Walther fitted onto my Rem 700 .300WM and it has been cut with a standard SAAMI/CIP chamber. I got it in a 1-8 twist with the plan to shoot 208gr Amax bullets.

My question is: will I be able to loads to the bullets full potential with a standard length throat or will I end up with compressed loads and not enough space for powder? Wanting to use Vihtavuori N165.

Thanks

AL
As you are restricted on powder choice, you may have no other option than to load compressed, I do with no ill effects in my 300 with 200gr Accubonds and RE25. It gets the best accuracy and velocities in my rifle.

Cheers.
lightbulb

I have not shot mine yet, but I can fit a 208 A-MAX with an O.A.L. of 3.660" in my factory Remington 700 mag box and I am still not touching the lands and have plenty of room for powder.

If you have other powder options available I would recommend IMR7828. I run it in my 300wm with the 208 AMAX and am getting just over 2900fps with excellent results. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will stick with N165 for now and let you guys know how I get on, I can get Viht powders very easily and at trade price so I like to stick with those where I can :)
Magnum Maniac if you are running compressed loads and it is shooting fine then that fills me with confidence and hopefully I can just load and shoot normally.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.