300WM 196 HH - RL26

Muddyboots

FYI if anyone is interested, I am just finishing up finalizing a load in my 300WM with the 196 HH with RL26 and so far it has been enlightening to say the least. I settled in on 3155 fps with RL26 and first testing is around 0.5MOA at 100 yards. I haven't measured it with caliper etc but am satisfied with the rough tape measurement just to keep load development going forward. This is in an older G1 Sendero (26" brl) 2000 vintage that I bought new then so it has a high round count but still seems to get it done. This load does not show any pressure at all, primers still rounded and bolt lift is normal. I will be repriming this brass tomorrow but do not expect loose pockets based upon observations thus far. I also shot the 181 HH in it and the velocity was crazy with RL26 and really prefer heavier bullets so worked on the 196 for my hunting load this fall. My posting is just to provide info that RL26 with the 196 is showing pretty good accuracy and velocity. I haven't seen many postings on the 196 so thought I post up for info.

Well over 3300 and stopped at 3333 just because I didn't have ladder deep enough but 3333 was certainly fast enough! Shot well and the PBR was insane but I prefer the 196 or heavier for the 300WM and so far am thrilled with the 196 performance. I just like the 300WM hitting with heavier bullets down range. The 300WM just seems to be better suited for me with the heavier bullets. Plus hitting an elk with heavier is always a good idea.

Wolf76: Attached is the Alliant RL26 recipes from moments ago. The velocities shown will be passed very quickly due to 181HH design as I bet you already know. In my rifle (G1 Sendero 26" barrel) the CBTO resulted in being about 0.95 off to meet the max COAL of the internal hinged floor plate of the stock 700 Sendero. So plenty of jump and it didn't bother the accuracy at all. There are 180 grain bullets listed so that is what I chose to begin the ladder well below those max powder charges. I am also anal on pushing pressure in ladders so I used 0.3 gr increments when I am in an unknown situation which I know is overly cautious to some or most but that is my decision to protect the brass as much as possible. I stop when I see even the faintest signs of pressure which is normally confirmed when I shoot the next 0.3 increment and protects the brass for me. I just feel it is in my best interest to load this conservatively. I will say I saw velocity immediately above the table expected so keep that in mind as well.

Attachments

• 2020.09.25.300WM-RL-26-Alliant.Powder.Recipe.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 297
FYI if anyone is interested, I am just finishing up finalizing a load in my 300WM with the 196 HH with RL26 and so far it has been enlightening to say the least. I settled in on 3155 fps with RL26 and first testing is around 0.5MOA at 100 yards. I haven't measured it with caliper etc but am satisfied with the rough tape measurement just to keep load development going forward. This is in an older G1 Sendero (26" brl) 2000 vintage that I bought new then so it has a high round count but still seems to get it done. This load does not show any pressure at all, primers still rounded and bolt lift is normal. I will be repriming this brass tomorrow but do not expect loose pockets based upon observations thus far. I also shot the 181 HH in it and the velocity was crazy with RL26 and really prefer heavier bullets so worked on the 196 for my hunting load this fall. My posting is just to provide info that RL26 with the 196 is showing pretty good accuracy and velocity. I haven't seen many postings on the 196 so thought I post up for info.
What brass and primers are you using? How is RL26 compared to H1000 on temp stability?

Peterson Long brass, Fed 215, RL26 is fine until you get up temp like near 80's. I shoot in morning very rarely above 75 for lots of reasons. I shoot the most Jan-May since range is real quiet at 10 degrees!!

From experience never dial in a load with R-26 that you are going to use later in hot temps 80 or more.. It will spike and the end result isn't pretty.
You will get good velocity with 26 but, personally I don't want to worry about it, so I use other powders that aren't as temp sensative.

Spot on! Since my hunting is usually 45 degrees or colder, not an issue at all. When I hunt south in Indiana gun season, it is perfect temps usually for me. Last year I killed nice buck and it was 25 degrees at shooting light which was perfect. When I hunt 2nd 3rd season CO again usually not a problem, most times its the other direction!;) Few years back I hunted 4th season at 9500 ft and I thought I was going to carry ammo in pocket to keep warm! Didn't get above 5 for 3 days!

I have read that some are concerned with RL26 burns hotter and causing throat erosion...have you experienced anything like that....heard some run RL23 instead of RL26 because of that.

Last edited:
My 300WM has 1200+ rounds through it. Throat has moved 0.050+ and only shot maybe 120 rounds with RL26 so no clue if it has any effect at all. My loads are not pressure busting, ejector marks, bolt lift, flattened primers so hoping that is helping cause.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.