300WM 180 Fusion vs. Hornady SST Custom 150

82ndreddevil

Hey guys, hope all is well. Well I have 300 WM in a 700 Sendero with a Leupold 4.5-14 Mark 4. I am not a well experienced handloader so I am trying to find some decsent factory ammo that shoots as well and is suitible for elk hunting. First I tried the Hornady SST 180 gr Super performance with no consistentcy. So I tried the Federal 180 gr Fusions for fun. Consistantly shot an MOA. I had my stock bedded, and a match crown cut and thought I would give a different Hornady round a try. I tried the 150 SST Custom and brought some more Fusions just for fun. The Hornady's again had a lot of flyers and inconsistantcies. I got a little frustrated and tried out the Fusions again. Did not notice any improvement from the stock bedding or the new crown but I still shot an MOA with no flyers. I have tried several types of Hornady rounds and I seem to always have a lot of flyers, has anyone had a similar experience with them? I guess I am going to just stick to the Fusions, they just seem to work. If anyone has any input that would be appreciated

Every rifle is different. I'm just getting into handloading, but in years of using factory ammo I've had some rifles that shoot most types well, others that shoot only 1 load well.

I recently tried 10 different loads in my 17 HMR rifle at 100 yards. Groups vary from an inch to 3+ inches, and this is confirmed by running the test on two different days at different locations. On both days it liked the same ammo, and now I've narrowed it down to 4 which will undergo more testing. The point of the example is that only in trying several factory loads did I find out which one was acceptable. And, the ones my rifle likes are not the ones my Dad's 17 HMR likes.

FYI, I would not personally go below a 180 grain bullet for a 30 caliber, especially if thinking of elk and especially in a 300 WM. Think 180-210 as your range, not 180 and below.

+1 on Dr Vettes bullet weight recommendation. I have two .300 WinMags, 1:10 and 1:11, and both group better with heavier bullets. Currently, using, 200 NAB, 208 A-Max, and 190/210 Berger VLDs.

I aint too worried about the weight, I am confident in my abilities and the abilities of a lighter bullet. My first cow was taken with a 30-06 shooting 150 gr Remingtons and the exit hole was the size of a baseball. I have been even more sucsesful with my current caliber. I am also familiar with the elimination process part too. I left out a piece of information. I also have a 700 BDL in 300 win mag and that one too shoots inconsistantly with hornadys, yet it really does well with the Fusions. So I got two rifles that like and hate the same ammo. Im wondering if anyone has had any sucsess with either of these rounds, especially the hornadys. I have never gotten any of them to work well in any of my rifles.

i had 2 different boxes of the Fusion 30-06 180gr tumble on me. i'm done with the fusion stuff it was a friend gun n ammo he's done with it as well. The only way i know it tumbled is because we where shooting at a target on ply wood and saw the holes. Hornady has always work good for factory stuff but i reload so i stay away from the over priced ammo for the price of 5-6 boxes you could have a big part of reloading gear that's the best thing to do.

I've had great success with Hornady ammo in my 7mm Weatherbys, 17 HMR and 25-06.

And no matter how confident I was, if I wanted a 150gr bullet I'd look to a 270 or 7mm rifle. Yes, they make them for a 30 caliber rifle but all I can say is - why?

OK, getting off soapbox now. :D

I've had great success with Hornady ammo in my 7mm Weatherbys, 17 HMR and 25-06.

And no matter how confident I was, if I wanted a 150gr bullet I'd look to a 270 or 7mm rifle. Yes, they make them for a 30 caliber rifle but all I can say is - why?

OK, getting off soapbox now. :D

Jeff, can you which Hornady's you have had luck with? I have tried the Custom and Super performance. Sorry you had bad luck with the fusions, I have shot about 8 boxes of them and I am pleased at how they do. I would like to just find something my rifle likes that is not a soft point.

Dr. Vette, dont worry about the soap box, its your opinion. As for why I would use a 150 gr in my 300 wm is simple. Flatter trajectory and it does not bust up meat as bad as the heavier ones do. I have shot animals with both 150 and 180 gr bullets before, none of them really seemed to know the difference between the two. my first elk was taken with a 150 gr 30-06 and had an exit hole the size of a baseball. The last cow I shot was with a federal 180gr TSX and ruined an entire shoulder. On the flip side a heavier bullet would have greater retention down range and it is less effected by wind. And yea, I am confident. It is only cause I have the background to back it up with. I do not say anything to my buddy that hunts cows with a 243, nor to my buddy that hunts deer with a 338 Lapua because they both are effective with what they use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.