300WM 10 twist -will it stabilize 230 gr Bergers ?

Willoughby

Ive ran 210s at 2885 for years and last year ran some 220 smks at 2820 with no issues - but I notice it says must be 8 twist or faster on Sierras 230smk box ? who has used 230gr in a 10twist ? did they fly ? or tumble thanks in advance

Last edited:
JBM calculator shows SG of 1.43 assuming 2,800 fps on that bullet and twist. But its just a calculator and not the real world so you wouldn't know until you try it.

JBM calculator shows SG of 1.43 assuming 2,800 fps on that bullet and twist. But its just a calculator and not the real world so you wouldn't know until you try it.
Same velocity assumption as you noted at my range altitude of 3333' SG = 1.71 and average hunting altitude of 6500' SG = 1.92 with 230 Berger Hybrid OTM on the Berger twist rate calculator.

Same velocity assumption as you noted at my range altitude of 3333' SG = 1.71 and average hunting altitude of 6500' SG = 1.92 with 230 Berger Hybrid OTM on the Berger twist rate calculator.
Feenix I was using the longer 230 gr Hybrid target (1.64 in.) with 29.92 Hg. air pressure. Anyway I bet it will stabilize just fine. Does Berger still make the Hybrid OTM?

With the 230 Hybrid, it's 1.54 SG at 3333' and 1.73 SG at 6500' using Berger's software. As far as I know, they still make them.
Feenix you just made me realize that I have always been plugging in sea-level (29.92) values for air density instead of barometric pressure for altitude where I test and hunt at 3,000 feet (26.82). Now all the different bullets I use suddenly look better with higher SG's. Always learn something on this site ! Thx pard.

Feenix you just made me realize that I have always been plugging in sea-level (29.92) values for air density instead of barometric pressure for altitude where I test and hunt at 3,000 feet (26.82). Now all the different bullets I use suddenly look better with higher SG's. Always learn something on this site ! Thx pard.
Aye Sir! I too love the learning process we all share. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.