300win or 338win

5280yotes

So im currently shooting a 7rm and a 308win both are great shooters but I live in CO and everybody knows what lives here... ELK!! I love savage rifles and im itching for a new one. Im currently debating on the 111lrh in 300win or the 116fcss in 338win. I would be shooting 210 bergers out of the 300 and prob ttsx or accubond out of the 338. The question I have is what would be better of the two for 0-800yds? I do reload and have all the tools to rebarrel.

If the choice were between the 300 Win and a 338 RUM I'd definitely go with the RUM.

Between the two you list it would be a much tougher decision but I would still go with the larger caliber.

338 winchester. Easy on the shoulder with no brake and deadly to 800 yards on about anything. It is one of the best out there for large big game that does not require a brake.

338 winchester. Easy on the shoulder with no brake and deadly to 800 yards on about anything. It is one of the best out there for large big game that does not require a brake.

LTLR, would you recomend the 225 accubond to be a better choice than the 185 or 210 ttsx at that kind of distance?

Last year I used the 185 ttsx at 3220 fps to kill everything with in Alaska and Wyoming. Everything I shot at was a one shot quick kill. The two closest shots were a grizzly and a dall sheep at around 200 yards. All the others were 400 to 800 yards. The bc seems to be higher than listed. The bullet is just devastaing with on game performance. Right now I am considering trying the 225 CE bullet in it at around 2900 fps and cutting down the wind drift a little. With the 225 CE .64 bc bullet the 338 winchester is a good 1000 yard killer on anything in Colorado. My rifle is a tikka t-3 and I consider it an 800 yard rifle and the 185's are fine to there.

I hope there are a few left up there. I killed everything I killed with the little tikka 338 winchester last year but that ain't much. I leave Aug 1 for two months in your great state. Hunted there every year since 1979 and killed a bunch of stuff but I always leave plenty for the next year.

Hunted there every year since 1979 and killed a bunch of stuff but I always leave plenty for the next year.

Well I've only got a couple of years on you. I started hunting here in 1976 as a non-resident, and then as a resident a bit thereafter. It is nice hunting out by your lonesome, or with only hunters from your own camp which you choose to hunt with. To get back on subject, I or my son have hunted with the Tikka T3s for ~ 7 years now. With the backpack hunting that is so common, and often necessary in Alaska, the lightweight Tikka's are indeed a very well-suited carry rifle up here.

Sounds like your 2011 hunting season gets off to a great start come August 10th! Good luck!

Last edited:
Last year I used the 185 ttsx at 3220 fps to kill everything with in Alaska and Wyoming. Everything I shot at was a one shot quick kill. The two closest shots were a grizzly and a dall sheep at around 200 yards. All the others were 400 to 800 yards. The bc seems to be higher than listed. The bullet is just devastaing with on game performance. Right now I am considering trying the 225 CE bullet in it at around 2900 fps and cutting down the wind drift a little. With the 225 CE .64 bc bullet the 338 winchester is a good 1000 yard killer on anything in Colorado. My rifle is a tikka t-3 and I consider it an 800 yard rifle and the 185's are fine to there.

What is a ce bullet? What powder are you using on the 185's?

Cutting Edge bullets has a 225 grain advertised .640 bc. Drops out of my 338-378 wby at 3500 fps show a bc between .65 and .66 at 1000 yards. The higher bc is probably because of the high speed faster than their testing rifle. H-414 is the powder for the 185 ttsx in 338 winchester with a cci 250 primer. I think nosler gives data on the 180 grain to start with. I can't remember my load and don't have my notes handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.