300win or 300rum

What are your wanting out of it? , its gonna be faster yess but it burning alot more powder.
if your just looking for a little more speed with the heavier bullets then sure go for it. hell have the barrel set back say a 1/4" then rechamberd with a min spec reamer and your accuracy should increase also,if its done properly. remember all those Rem Sendero's have 26" barrels and look at what kind of velocits they get

I have both a 300WM and 300RUM. Both are accurate with the 300WM getting the nod. The WM comfortably pushes out 180 Nosler BT's and AB's at 3170fps while the 300RUM gets 3350fps. I shoot them both out to 1000 yds and the clicks are not that much different. The Rum burns 99 grs. of Retumbo while the WM burns 73 grs. of IMR 4350. Both were built by Bobby Hart on Rem actions and Hart 26" barrels. I am in the planning stages to build another 300( don't ask me why) on a Hart action and I am going to do a 300WM. These are all elk/mule deer rigs and I just like the balance of power versus powder usage and recoil with the 300WM. My two cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One bid disadvantage to the 300 rum is you have to use rem brass. The 300 win is made by both norma and lapua as well as many other high quality manufactures. If you are looking for true long accuracy I doubt you will find it shooting rem brass.But there has been alot of success with the 300 rum. You will have to burn alot more powder ( = recoil, muzzle blast) to gain a little more speed. I would rechamber with a min. spec reamer, use top quality brass and experiment with some 190 or heavier bullets and some slow burning powders and you will be suprised by the accuracy and velocity. Or better yet rebarrel to a 28" HB and use top quality components and you will have no regrets. Just one guys thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="black"> </font>

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts