300WBY

camoman

What's the best bullet for sheep, deer and the occasional elk. I shoot 180 GrandSlams currently at 3000fps est(80gr of 7828, cci 250) out of a 24 inch tube(1 in 12" twist). I was considering 165 or 180 Scirrocco, are they worth the extra cost? I Hit a deer at 500+ yards with 180GS barely dented the first half of the jacket, went right thru one shoulder, deer went down after 20 yards, should I be going to something a little softer, lighter, faster?.

These bullets will work well at longer ranges and reduced impact vel. 165/180gr Hornady SST/Amax; Nosler Ballistic tips; Matchkings up to 190gr ( the heavier bullets may not stabilize in the 12 twist).

The scirrocos are a nice bullet but too tough for LR work. Conventional bullets will act like premium bullets when impact vel drop below 2500fps.

My mule deer's lungs were vaporized at 330yds with a broadside hit with the 165gr SST from my Gibbs (muzzle vel 2950fps). Exit hole was about 2". A tough bullet would have probably just punched through as you have noted. This combo knocked the deer of its feet.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.