300RUM

rotorhead

It appears that alot of folks on the forum like the 300RUM. I would like to know What kind of velocities some of you are getting for a 180grn type bullet. And your opinions on longrange hunting for the elk-moose sized animals. I'm just courious. I've seen some discussion on the velocities I'd like to put it in one place. I'm sure this discussion has taken place before but I would appreciate if you would endulge me.

RH

Look at the 220 SMK, it or a 200 gr Accubond are about the only two bullets you need to consider. The 220 SMK should push between 2900-3100 fps, and will do considerable damage at longer ranges.

My friend is trowing the 185gr. bergers out of his and I have seen nothing but good. If it was me I would shoot the 210 berger or the 200-240 smk. That berger surprised me though. At around 100yrds that berger hit an spike elk while it was quartering towards us and went all the way to the off side quarter.

[ QUOTE ]
I get between 3400-3500 fps out of 180's

[/ QUOTE ]

Really... What powder and charge are you using? I threw the 168's at 3400 with 100gr Retumbo, but being I'm new to the reloading thing, I chickened out at that point. I "know" what pressure signs are, but I don't know that I'd know them when I saw them, so I've been content with book maxes.

I'm running 3400fps with the Berger 185's out of my factory Remmy sendaro.

97grs. H-1000
Fed. 215
Rem. cases
OACL 3.600

This load shoots a ragged hole at 300 and 1-1.5" at 500yds with according to my program produces 1520 ft/lbs at 1000yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.