300RUM Velocities

I'll try some hammers. Which bullet do you recommend for potentially sheep, caribou, grizz.....same hunt?

I would run the 181g Hammer Hunter. Some people get nervous when the bullet is not 200g. That is why we just came out with the 196g Hammer Hunter for the 10" twist.

Just recently a Hammer user posted his results with the 181g Hammer Hunter on a water buffalo here on lrh. He runs them in a 300AX at 3500 fps. He shot the water buffalo through both shoulders at under 100y stopping him with one shot and only 40y (if I remember correctly) of travel after the shot.

I am a big point blank range guy thus my choice of the 181g Hammer Hunter. Carrying the rifle set to max point blank range zero, you will be good to about 450y without making any adjustment to your aim point on a 5" radius. That is just cool!

I have found that the brass I use has a noticeable amount of bearing on pressure and therefore powder charges. Take a look at brass they are using next time you look at the manuals. Primers have a minimal effect as well. My guess is that this is the reason for the varying charges.
Very true, I have seen a good amount of velocity difference using two different brands of brass, everything else the same. There are a lot of variables

I have 210gr Bergers going 3050 with 91.0 gr of Retumbo....accuracy @ 500 yds is beyond my belief.....custom Krieger bbl, Jewel trigger....I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't own a 300 RUM. I didn't build it for plinking, so bbl life isn't a concern. I don't know if I was ever concerned with not enough velocity....rsbhunter
You sound like the army. They are putting 3 foot more barrel on the M1 Abrams tank to get more velocity out the 120mm. I guess 5,000 fps plus was not enough. Unfortunately I got my 300 Weatherby decades before the RUM was born.

I am a big point blank range guy thus my choice of the 181g Hammer Hunter. Carrying the rifle set to max point blank range zero, you will be good to about 450y without making any adjustment to your aim point on a 5" radius. That is just cool!
I can assure you this would be an advantage can't I Steve? mtmuley

I have some 200accubonds, I was a little concerned about them coming apart on a close(less than 100yard?) shot on say a large boned (grizz) animal @ high velocity. I also have some 180 ttsx I may tinker with.

I would not worry about the Accu Bonds coming apart. I have a 180 gr Accubond recovered from a sheep @ 365 yards and it weighs 138 grains. In just this Feb. recovered a 180 gr Accubond from a mule deer buck @ 75yards and it weighs 121 grains. I was surprised to recover the bullet moving @ 3250 fps form my 300 RUM but entrance was the size of baseball and went diagonal through body recovered under skin in neck. I have come to be a real fan of the Accu Bond bullets.

I worked up a load on a buddies 300 RUM and ended up using a pretty stout load of Retumbo with a 200 Partition. Adding more powder didn't add any velocity so I stopped there, at 2940 fps (I don't remember the load off hand but it was close to the book max). This rifle is a stock Rem 700. Using my scope, the barrel looks like match grade & it shoots well with minimal fouling. I suppose we could squeeze a bit more velocity out of it but I wonder if it's worth the effort? If we could get 200 fps, maybe, but he seems quite happy with it as is and has taken several deer with it. but is itching to take a long range elk. I expect his biggest hurdle is money, for now. Time will tell but I do like the cartridge. It has a lot of potential!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.