300rum reloads

Rum and not the liquid

i was shootin my rig for the 1st time with the new stock and glass bedding and the rounds i had used b4 the mods were good but now theyre bad should i rule out that powder charge (88 reloader 22 180g interbonds) but i have swaped to 208 amax i found that 86 of r22 gave me a inch group at 100 with the amax. ive got sum loaded at 85 and 84 i wanna try but just want someone else opinion

thanks

lucas

Something has changed the harmonics of your rifle. Since there are some modifications done to it I would check the free stuff first. Actions torqued properly and in the right sequence? is the barrel floated? Rifle Clean? (really clean) visually inspect the crown does it look uniform? Scope rings and bases all tight? What are the groups telling you? are they stringing up down left right? is it sparatic? how many groups have you shot? its a new stock are you sure its not you trying to get used to the new feel? Is you magazine box free floating? is there bedding material squeeze out in the screw holes of the stock? once all the "FREE" stuff has been checked out Try a new powder /bullet combo... thats what I would do anyway...

I found that my 300 likes a little slower burning powder. Started with 93 and 91 grns of RL-25. Groups out to 2.0. Switched to Retumbo and it worked like magic. 0.8 inch groups at 3309 fps with 180 accubonds.

I agree on using a slower powder. Re25, H1000, Retumbo. And Alliant has a newer slower powder coming soon, Reloder 50.

With 180's my ultramag shoots best at 95.0 gr of RL25. I recently went to 200 gr accubond's though and have been running 92.0 gr of RL25 with great results.

In my rifle, m700 26" bbl, 300rum, it only like retumbo for heavy pills, 200gr+. For lighter pills like 165gr GMX bullets, I use 79gr IMR4350. I am using 94gr of Retumbo for 210gr SMK, which should work pretty well for you amax's. My rifle never responded to Re25 with any bullet. BTW i use CCI250M Primers.

Im currently using RL25 88.6g with 210 berger hunting vld just off the lands. I am sub 3/4 MOA at 3220 fps avg. I also have good results with H1000. I am only shooting the heavy bullets so I have no feedback for anything lighter. I figure with the extra umpf of the rum I may as well push the bigger stuff. I have smaller calibers for lighter bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts