300RUM reloading data for long range shooting

300rum

Hi,

I'm new at this forum, and also new in reloading.
I got 1 year ago 300 rem ultra mag, and I used 180gr Scirocco Bonded for shooting at big games up to 400 yards.(using my bypod) I was happy with this one for flat traiectory and speed.

I just got the reloading kitt, and I'm lost, after I starting reading all this information. I mean lost not in description, but in what kind of choise I have to make to match the same or better caracteristics of this 180 gr Scirocco Bonded at long range (up to 800yrds)

Can anybody help me, or at list to give me the starting direction in chossing the right pouder, ignition, bullet to get the best accuracy and medium-deep penetration at up to 800yrd for my 300rum?

I'm thinking to try:
Sierra190gr bullet for high BC.

Thank you
300rum

I shoot out to 800 with my 300 RUM quite a bit. I have shot many bullets, but mainly stay with the 200-210g weights. 200g AB,210g Berger VLD, 200g-220g smk. To take full advantage in your 300 RUM, start with a 200g bullet. They will shoot 3200-3100fps respectively with a max charge of Retumbo, H1000, or RL-25. I use Fed215 primers and Remington brass. You might need to pick up a tactical type scope with clicks and make a drop chart. Assuming you have a rangefiner. SHooting out to 800 yards is quite a ways and needs different equipment then 400 yards.

Dear remingtonman_25_06

Yes I have a tactical scope 6-42 mil dot, and my rifle have zeroing at 300yrds. I do all the quick adjustments by mils corection, and I'm ok for hunting. I got also a Bushnell Rangefinder for long range reading up to 800-850 yrds REAL READING.
I GOT ALL THE CHART BULLET DROPS for 180gr Scirocco, and adjustment by mils correction, and I stick them at 10X, 24X and 16X power at different distances on my stock for quick shoots.

But how about the bullet? Did you use 200 gr. or 190gr Barnes X triple shock, or Nosle Partition?

Thank you
300rum

Get a box of 200 gr accubonds and be happy!! You can play w/different bullets till your blue in the face. The 200 gr accubond will offer you everything you need for every game you will be taking. Of course if your like me, you'll still try 15 different bullets!!!

If you like the Scirocco and your rifle likes it, you could do a lot worse for 800 yds. Its BC measures not far behind the 200 AccuBond and I'll bet it would match or beat the 190 SMK.

Yes the 200 AB, the 210-240 Match bullets will beat it ballistically by varying amounts at 800, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 180 Scirocco out to 800. Certainly try something else if you want to or plan on going much farther, but don't feel you have to.

Used 180 grain accubond bullets to smash the shoulder blades of elk out to 950 yards in to 550 from a slower gun than yours and they work great. HOwever, you have the horsepower to shoot the 200 grain Accubonds and they only hit harder and have less deflection. Rl25 in the area of 90 grains will usually punch 1/2" groups and get you 3150 or so. Very much power in this combo!

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your suggestion!

OK I will start with 200gr Accubond, Retumbo - pouder, Fed215 primer, and i will use my factory bras (Remington).

Thank you again and have a nice days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Get a box of 200 gr accubonds and be happy!! You can play w/different bullets till your blue in the face. The 200 gr accubond will offer you everything you need for every game you will be taking. Of course if your like me, you'll still try 15 different bullets!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

My SAKO 75 does 3170 or so with 200 AB and 94 gr of Retumbo. Groups are (best so far) .292 at 100 and .675" at 300 yards. Here is a pix of the 300 yard group

sako.jpg

As far as bullet type goes, I love the Barnes TSX but be warned they are about 10 bucks more a box then the Accubonds. I personally have been shooting 180g TSX w/ 96.5 grains of Retumbo... I'll probably go into the 200grains + next year, but for now deer season is looming and I'm gonna settle on a load for this load for the year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've shot out to 800 so far with little problem which is about as far as I'll take a shot for deer season. Past that you'll definately want the higher bc 200+ grain bullets for longer shots.

On a side note I finally put a brake on the RUM and wow its so much nicer to shoot!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.