300rum RELOADING Brass PROBLEMS!!!!

300rum

Hi,

Can anybody help me.
I'm new in reloading, I just got the Lyman Pro Kit, and a Neck Size Die and I got a strange data!!!!
I already read the book regarding the size of the brass for remington 300rum (standard lenght without round=2.850, lenght with round = 3.600)

I have 2 strange situation:
1. - at the brand new unfired brass 180gr Scirocco Bond, the size ar: (lenght of the brass without round = 2.838, lenght with round=3.573)
2. AFTER I SHOOT 1 BOX I already check the size of the brass, and they ar:
Lenght without round=2.181 - 2.182, because of the original brass variation

Now my problem is: after I use neck resize die for the brass I got this size: lenght= between 2.838-2.841 and the neck size: 0.335 constant at all.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO BE RIGHT? Do I have to use full lenght resize die to get the right size for the brass max=2.850 lenght and after that I have to use neck size die?
OR I HAVE TO IGNORE AND JUST TO GO RELOADING, AND WHEN I HAVE LENGHT BIGER THEN 2.850 I HAVE TO TRIM THE NECK TO=2.850?????

Do I get variation on accuracy if the brass is between 2.838-2.841, and I use the same powder grains?

Please help me guys!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
chris

300rum,
this statement has me confused!
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you help me undestand this!

Hi Eaglet
Would you help me undestand this!

sorry, I think I was litle bit confuse...
So .... The original case (Scirocco Bonded) don't have the same lenght of the brass.
So After I shot the rounds and I chechet the size with a electronic calliper, I got variation in brass size from one case to another between 2.181 - 2.182. The next step what I did I used a neck size die, and I got final size between 2.841 and 2.839.
OK reading the book for Ratumbo powder, and 200gr AB round, I have to trim the case at 2.840 size.
What I have to do with the case what are smaller < 2.840????
Can I used them???

Thank you.
300rum

Hi Varmint Hunter,

Yes I compare the size of the original (unfired brass) with the case used one time (and neck resized).
After I shot the brass expands to fits my chamber, and using the neck size die i got very close data to 2.840, 2.839, 2.841.

- Now do I have to trim all to 2.840 for reloading with 200gr AB and Retumbo pwder?
- How about the cases what are smaller then 2.840?
- Can I use them if they are 2.839, 2.838, 2.837????

Thank you

IMHO, you do not need to trim these fired cases when they are as close in length as you say they are. Clean 'em and load 'em.

I trim my cases to 2.838 initially and then pretty much don't trim them again as after 3 or so firings they quit growing. As long as they are at least a few thousandths less than your chamber length, your OK in term of safety. To determine your chamber length, get this guage for a couple of bucks: ( http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RESDTCL&item=G-308&type=store ). This way you will know for sure how far you can let your cases grow, before they must be trimmed. Otherwise, for hunting conditions, leave the neck at long as you can for extra bullet grip is what I would say.

Edit: Neck sizing should be just fine as long as it's not too difficult to eject the case. Often, when only neck sizing, you may have to FL resize at some point as the cases can otherwise grow enough that they become difficult to chamber or eject. If you do FL resize, got to Sinclair again (same company as above) and search for the Redding Competition Shellholders and use the appropriate shellholder (follow directions to find the shellholder that allows the case to just barely chamber easily) in place of the shellholder you are currectly using. These comp. shellholders allow you to size the brass minimally to still chamber easily. Your standard shellholder and FL die will usually do way too much sizing/squashing to the case, shortening it's life and often reducing potential accuracy. A potential main advantage to doing your own reloading is that with fireforming (inital firing of round), the case will then hopefully align much better with your chamber increasing potential accuracy. However, if you over squash that case everytime you FL size it, you're potentially reducing the accuracy of your reloading/rifle combination. In some combinations, FL sizing makes no difference to accuracy--no black and white truth here. You just have to experiment and see what works for your combination.

Welcome to one of the most rewarding and frustrating endeavors out there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you, JMDEM

You know, because I'm new in reloading, and after reading, reading, reading the reloading books, and trying to go by standard sizes, I GOT PANICKED, whe I so different size of the case lenght.

You know, when you start reloading for first time, and you are alone, having NOBODY AROUND YOU TO SHOW YOU HOW TO DO, you really apreciate any information, from qualified guys like you.

Thank you so much for your time, and not at last to all of you guys making this site to be the best in reloading...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.