300RUM powder choices

pvanwyk

Hi guys,
anyone out there using IMR4350 or H4831 as their powder choice for 300RUM. Our local choice of powders in South Africa doesn't give us much variety. Have been using a local powder B12.7 (equivalent to H870), but been getting huge variances between batch lots. Next possible choices are basically equivalent to above mentioned powders.

Want to launch 200gr or 220gr smk's from standard 26" Sendero.

Any load data would be appreciated.

appreciate the advise. Problem is that we can only get locally manufactured powder. My next choice is local powder S385 (equivalent to H4831) or S365 (equivalent to IMR4350).

Anyone use H4831 or IMR4350 to load up with ?

Cheers,
Paul

Get the slowest powder you can then.

Check out: http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/burnratechart.php

You can see where the powder you are considering is in relation to the powders being suggested to you. A fair amount of difference generally. I did use VV N560 (equivalent to N160 in burning rate, I understand) in my 300RUM which is closer to the speed of powder you are mentioning--pretty close to 4831 actually. If I recall, I was in the high 80's for grains of powder charge and around 3075fps or so with the 200AB. Start low and work up as always. I like what I'm seeing with US869 much better and the 200AB.

Guys, sorry to put a post here thats irrelevant to anyone other than a South African. But in case there are a few of us lurking here (I know of 3!).....

I've tried to order poweder. I even tried arranging to ship powder from Namibia to the US - it's prohibitively expensive to ship due to current restictions and requirements.

Scoops - S385 seems slower than IMR4831 to me. Accordingly it may be worth a shot (excuse the pun). The guys from SA Reloaders load S365 and S385 in duplex to approximate IMR4831, which bears me out. I know someone who uses S385 in his .338 Lapua. I'll pop you details.

B12/7 was designed for the 50 BMG, I'm told. Somchem claims you can use it with great success in the .338 Lapua.

This is an old exerpt from the Q&A on Somchem's website that I had saved (this part of the site hasn't been active for at least 8 months). Call me anal, but you never know when you'll need this stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"S385 is very similar to IMR4831.You can use data published for IMR4831 as guideline."

Also:

"You can also contact Somchem for a slower burning powder B127/0. This powder can be used at maximum loading densities without any pressure problems.Regards- Johan Loubser".

I understand Johan is now with Accurate Arms / Western Powders - now part of the same group. He was always helpful when he was in SA. I'm told if you track him down in the US you can still pester him!

Have you tried Manie Johannes at Somchem?

Hope this helps a little. I'm pleased you are doing all this work so that I can have it easy if (when) I rebarrel my 300 WM to 300 UM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wim

2scoops,
Sierra starts at 75.9 and goes to 83.0 of H4831SC for the 200g SMK velocities from 2700 to 3000.
70.3 to 77.0 H4831SC for the 220 SMK velocities from 2600 to 2800.
This is according to Sierra's Infinity 5 software.
Hope it helps.

I have used 81gr. IMR 4350 and 200 gr. accubonds, fed 215 primer. Shoots moa or better out of a 1917 enfield rechambered to 300 rum. Don't know the velocity.
jim

I use both powders and they both work flawlessly, I have loads for a 200 gr nos partition with both loads being over the 3000 fps mark, as a matter of fact they are both listed as tested powders with the nosler 200 and 22o in noslers 5th edition....

I use both powders and they both work flawlessly, I have loads for a 200 gr nos partition with both loads being over the 3000 fps mark, as a matter of fact they are both listed as tested powders with the nosler 200 and 220 in noslers 5th edition....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.