300rum Mag Box

baydog

Has anyone had trouble getting rounds into a 300rum after installing a extended mag box? They'll go in but ya gotta let em know who's boss when ya put them in and now the extended box only holds 2 rounds instead of 3 like the stock mag box is this normal?
Thanks
Scotty

I had this same problem years ago until Shawn Carlock taught me that you load them from the bottom, not the top. Open the bottom metal and load your rounds from the bottom and then close the latch....worked well for me....I know you also need to "tune" the wings on the top of the Wyatt's box to make them feed correctly.

Marcus

Thanks Marcus! Never even thought about loading from the bottom but I'd bet the farm it would be a heck of a lot easier to load that way..I called Wyatt and asked about trimming the lips at the top of the box to hopfully make it a little easier for the round to slip by to load from the top but they said NO! that's what keeps the rounds in the mag box from popping out when I take my finger off when loading the second round. Can't really see what it would hurt by taking a little off or at least cleaning up the sharp edges. And as far as feeding now that you mention it I do have a little trouble feeding I have to bump the bolt until the round pops up and aligns or lays straight enough to chamber..You say I may have to try to tweek the upper lips maybe just enough to make it feed a little better ?
Thanks
Scotty

Scotty,

I am by no means an expert at Wyatt's boxes, but I have 3 of them in different guns. I know that in my Edge, Shawn popped the mag out kept giving it slight bends in the wings until the gun fed well....I've never touched it again.

Hope that helps...

Marcus

I gotcha Marcus. It's worth a try and it would be better than taking away a little bit of metal off the edges cause once I filing or grinding it's gone at least bending I could bend it back if i go to much.
Thanks
Scotty

Hi Edd. I have the Wyatt CFE-9.
Thanks
Scotty

I have a CFE-12 which is a shorter version of yours. I'm using it on a RUM size case. I had to bend it a little to make it load correctly. I also polished it so it wouldn't scratch the brass so bad.

Thanks Edd. I had the Leopold one piece scope mount and got the 2 piece mounts today to give me a little more room to fish hunk of brass in the box. I'm gonna try and do both also cause Right now I have to more less force the brass down in the mag box and like you said that scratches the heck out of the brass and that ain't cool either...I know it's not no kinda short cuts at something like this but did you make your slight bend on both left and right lips of the mag box and go the whole length of each lip or just towards the front half of each lip?

I bent both left and right sides the full length to get the loading into the magazine the way I wanted it. Then I did some additional bending on the front part of the lips to make them release the cartridge the way I wanted it released when chambering a cartridge. I even removed some metal, rounded them up a little, from the front of the lips. Another thing you want to check is to make sure the tops of the feed lips don't contact the bottom of the feed rails on the action.

I am not a Gunsmith. This is a fairly easy process but it was time consuming for me because of the tools I had to work with and my lack of experience.

Thanks Edd This info is a big help in getting me started..I ain't no gunsmith either but I gotta do something and what you've told me is a huge help and I thank ya!
Scotty

If you are shooting a factory Remington, I suggest you look at Kevin Wyatt's Website or even better get his book "Smoking Mirrors".

For the 300RUM and especially the 338 Edge I recommend removing .200"-.210" from the rear bridge at the rear of the ejection port. I also recommend you remove the corresponding leading edge of the bolt stop. This will aid in the loading and ejection of non fired rounds. I suggest using a Remington Ultra Mag follower with the Wyatt extended mag box. You will also have to mill out .115"-120" in the bottom rear of the action.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.