300rum loads

mmmbucks

I'm wondering if anyone might know how many grains and what length for retumbo powder and with 180 grain hornady sst? I can't seem to find a load for them?

retumbo might be a little slow burning for 180gr and seems to work better with heavier heads, but still feasible. as far as fps, i'm doing 3050 with 90.0gr using 220SMK's. if the 180gr is going to fast with retumbo, try H1000 instead. havent shot much 180s with it, but it was giving me nice groups with the 200s. i'm sure the 180s should work as well.

-brian

RL25 outpeforms the H1000 with my 200gr MKs,..to the tune of 250fps.

Try some RL25 as well as Retumbo. I have gotten to 87gr so far,..with no pressure and seated at the lands. Havn't opened the retumbo yet,..but I will extend anything I find this week/next when I do.

Try the Hodgdon website. They have put up a bunch of new loads for Retumbo.

Just remember that the SST's are not designed for impact vel faster then 3000fps. Poor penetration could result.

I use them in my '06 and results last year on my big mulie were very impressive. However, my muzzle vel is only 2700fps. Have not shot anything with my Gibbs yet (muzzle vel 3000fps).

3300fps of muzzle vel at close range could spell trouble. For a LR load where impact vel drop below 2800fps, would be a fantastic bullet.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts