.300RUM 168gr vld H1000

duckaholic

Just trying to get any data on max loads etc. Ill be loading 168vlds with h1000 in nosler brass with winchester primers. Just wanting to see if anyone else has used same load or one similar. Thanx

Because I have no need for a 210gr bullet to shoot whitetail. Usually load 150gr sst with h1000 just want to try the vld.

You're right, you don't 'need' the 210 to kill whitetails, it just that you give up a lot of BC by going to the 168. With a 300RUM, you can push the heavy bullets really fast.

You can find load data here:

308_15_165

Thank you for the info. I'm not opposed to tryin a 210 but I have really procrastinated and have 3 weeks to develop my load. I just figure a 210 would cause more damage than necessary? Anyone want to swap afew 168gr for some 210 lol

i use the 168vld and h-1000 with rem brass and fed. 215, worked up to 96 gr. in my PAC-NOR bbld. rifle. Have used it for the last 7 years for all up to Elk, last yrs. elk at 511 yds, 2 steps and down. The 168VLD works well for me, faster,flater,deadly to 830 yds (farthest shot so far)

I get that but what I don't think you get is that I have no where to shoot over 600yrds at the time and I see no reason to shoot a 210gr bullet at whitetail in Arkansas. Yes a 210 would be better at 500+ yards but I don't have that opportunity. According to all ballistics programs the 168 doesn't shoot better than the 150 til you get past 500. We don't have have rolling hills and prairies with lots of wind.

I am fully aware that I don't need it. It's what I wanted. I've killed several at over 300yrd with a .270 an no problems. We get a chance to go to Colorado every now and then an are tryin to go out west more. I don't need a .45acp for concealed carry its what I want. I thought that's what shooting was all about. I just wondered if anyone else used this combo and the data on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts