300rsaum

freebird63

Because brass is getting harder to find for this caliber, if a person were going to rebarrel one, what would be some caliber options? I'm guessing you would have to stay with a magnum caliber because of the bolt face or am I wrong??? don't know much about rebarreling

Seems you would be limited to same bolt face size (or larger - difficult to reduce bolt fact dimensions!) and depending on action, prob a short action, but that still leaves lots of options. jb

300 wsm would be a simple fix. All you would have to do is run the reamer in your old chamber and headspace. Sizing down wsm brass to saum would cause some issues with the thicker brass being formed into the saum neck and would require some turning. I tried wsm brass for my 6.5 ss, and it wasn't practical although you would not be pushing the shoulder back nearly that far. I have not had a lot of trouble lately getting good Norma saum brass but don't know what the future will hold? The only other solution (option) would be to buy a new bolt from PTG, or the like, since every other chambering option would be a smaller bolt face.....Rich

I am also curious what the future hold for the SAUM. But I personally dont see it going anywhere, especially since Norma just picked up 300 and 7 saum brass. On midway 300 saum brass is available and wsm brass is not. I dont see it going anywhere. Hard to beat a SAUM. Just wish more factory rifle would pick up the chambering. I love my 7 saum. Just as fast as my 7 win mag with approx 20% less powder.

Well I still don't know if I am even going to get the gun, actually it is my old gun...had to sell it to fund putting a new clutch in my wifes SUV. The guy who owns it is considering selling it.
I don't reload. So for now just kinda throwing questions out there.

Brass is not hard to find for this cartridge, you just need to look for the suppliers. Norma and Nosler have picked up the slack from the two major domestic manufacturers albeit at a significant mark up to the public.

Hornady will be producing 6.5 SAUM brass for GAP and Remington will be releasing 7mm SAUM brass later this year.

Factory chambers for the SAUM cartridges will not be seen again in any great numbers at least. They just don't sell in the volume that the factories want to sell in order to meet their profit levels. That leaves it up to the semi-custom builders and the custom gunsmiths to pick up the slack. These two cartridges are very popular at the custom level of building.

Regards.

Powder Valley has some Nosler .300 rsaum in stock right now. I have a 7rsaum, when I had the barrel chambered I only bought 100 pieces of Rem brass. The barrel has 225 rounds down it, its been nitrited, unscrewed and sitting. Waiting to find more brass to make it worth setting back up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.