300gr Berger Hybrid

Hotrod617

Hey guys,

Just back from a successful Moose hunt in the Yukon. I had a question here earlier about using the Berger Hybrid 300grn for moose. I can now say without any reservations that you can use this bullet with confidence. My shot was 164 yds broadside, and the bullet went thru both shoulders and he dropped in his tracks.

There were major bone shards, and an exit hole that was about the size of a fifty cent piece.

In this case it worked great. My worry was at close range, and it holding together. It did very well.

Bill Worden
Memphis, Tn

This is great info Bill. Thank you for your follow up. If you happen to have any pictures and additional info to add here I would love to see it. So this was a one shot DRT correct? Your results are very similar to what we have seen on many elk with the 300 OTM Bergers. So far they have all exited even when they caught a shoulder. Also our exits sound to be the same size 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".

Jeff

Yes Broz DRT. It did not even kick the leaves around on the ground.

I was shooting one of Len's 338 Edges using Nosler brass, 93grn of H1000 with a MV of 2875fps.

Sorry, I did not take any pics of the wounds.

I will try to post pic of moose.

Bill

DSC02914.jpg

Nice going Bill!! What a great trophy and a good job shooting too!!

Franklin, I will surely try some of the " Elite Hunting" 300's at some point. But I have a well stocked cabinet with same lot OTM's at this time. The OTM's have done so well fo us I will continue to use them for now. Once I get my new 338 LRKM from Shawn I will probably do some expansion comparisons of the two past 1500 yards. That will tell me what I should use for a very long poke. But for now out to 1200 yards the OTM's with a 2800 FPS MV are some bad medicine for anything I can find to hunt in North America.

Jeff

Hotrod
Where are you loading the hybrids relative to the lands. I just traded for an edge and was doing load development. Thanks
Chris

They are loaded 15thou off. But have not tried at other distances. In my rifle I can only have one in the mag at this length (one in the chamber and one in the mag). I will try it farther from the lands and shorten it up to fit the mag well on next go around. From what I have read, they don't mind jumping farther and it should not make much of a difference in group size... We will see.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.