3000 yards with 338 LM?

jimisbell

OK, I have a dilema.

I have signed up for a 3000 yard challenge.
I was planing on using my Fisher/McMillan 50 BMG but the match is in California where the rules are unbelieveable. And I MAY not be able to bring my 50BMG into the state. If I were already in the state and the gun was registered there, it MIGHT be possible, but from out of state (Texas) and the regulations against stops at motels, gas stations, and eateries it MAY not be feasable. I was planing on staying at my sisters in Vista and operating from there and a motel. But the law in CA seems to obviate that? But we are still researching that. I am willing to jump through the hoops as need be.

So, will my 338LM be able to compete with the local 50s at that range? Yeah, I know, "it depends on me".

If the targets start at shorter range and work their way out you can be competitive on that aspect. Even if you shoot the absolute best bullets at a good velocity from your Savage (if memory serves me correct) you will be handicapped against a larger projectile due to spotting impacts at those ranges. Other than holding center clouds do you have the capability to add adjustment to compensate for the 5,000+ inches of drop?

hello all
think about to get me a m82 barrett cal . 416 Barrett . but i think its smarter to ask first . or would you suggest an bolt action rifle in 416 ?
i m not really into extreme long range shooting .till now i use a customiced sako trg s at distances up to 1100 yards and it works pretty well . but at longer distances i think its not really matching anymore . thats why i think about get me an other rifle .of course i m aware its much more expensive then now . rifle , scope . dies and all costs way more . one thing is im located in austria and we get only limited items from amerika and mostly it costs the double of your price ( in case your lucky to get something after couple months waiting ) and wich scope you would suggest ?
thats why i post this thread and hope you have some ideas for me
thank you very much

Last edited:
^^^
What does this have to do with the OP's post?
Don't hijack- start your own thread.

Anyway...
You're far more experienced than I if you're shooting comp at 3,000 (I've got enough problems at a mile and 2,000)- I can't even imagine how the bullet (I use 300 A-Tips) would fly with 1K yards being subsonic, and I don't think a drop table is going to give an accurate picture. I'd sure try to get out, and get some real world dope with it in TX if that's what you're gonna need...

And no, I don't think a .338 LM would be competetive with .50's, Chey-Tacs and other boomer wildcats at nearly 1-3/4 miles- but let us know how it goes!

I plan on spending the winter training out on the desert near Terlingua with BOTH rifles. But if I can not take the 50BMG to CA I may not shoot that match. I dont want to be sucking hind tit with the .338 LM. Thats too far to drive and not be competitave.
I will definately report back if I shoot.

Hang on to a copy of the match bulletin and you should be fine to bring whatever.

A 338 Lapua will do if your hardware has the capability and you already have data.

This fella in Australia routinely runs standard-caliber rifles (30-06, 308, 300 Win, 338 Lapua) to outrageous distances, and his wife spots/talks him into the targets:

Last edited:
As point of note, the last 3K held in SoCal (2020), where the 2022 3K will be held, was won by a guy shooting a 300 PRC. Same shooter, shooting a 375 CT, in 2021 (NorCal) did not place. An improved 338 LM is quite capable at 2500. A base 338 LM with a factory-length barrel, not so much.

ELK868 - an 82A is, as you surely realize, a semi-auto. With the factory pistol grip it would be considered an "assault weapon" in CA and bringing it into the state could be an issue IF stopped. Eurooptic shows a version with a finned pistol grip (legal/compliant) but it is also noted as not available and not available for backorder. In any case, as best I know, a semi-auto has yet to be used in competition in any 2000+ yard event - all bolt guns.

I dont have an ELK868. I have a Fisher/Mcmillan single shot "shell holder" rifle. It does not have a "factory pistol grip", it is not "semi automatic", it would NOT be considered an "assault weapon". Where did you get that idea???

I dont have an ELK868. I have a Fisher/Mcmillan single shot "shell holder" rifle. It does not have a "factory pistol grip", it is not "semi automatic", it would NOT be considered an "assault weapon". Where did you get that idea???
The first paragraph was for reader general info.

The second paragraph was directed to poster Elk868, post #3.

Thank you for answers and i got new ideas. first i have to say i m from austria . and our laws not allow s 50 bmg cartridge . so i was lookin around and figured the m82 in 50 cal is illegal here but as 416 barret its legal . aswell here not many rifles in the 416 available . thats why i thinked bout get me the m 82 Barrett . Costs here 9 000 € . so my intrest lowered a bit. most i would like bolt action rifle in 416 barrett with 5 shot magazin .
as well the weight of M82 with 14 kg / 28 lbs isnt really fun .
an big problem for me is not much is available or cost insane more then in your country . lots things not even get importet here . and sorry if i missed the topic - it wasn t my intension to highjack this thread . i m using an customized sako trg s with an 26 " barrel since 2004 for long range shooting and in my opinion the limit for 338 Lapua is around 2000 m/2187 yards maybe 2500m/2734 yards . but thats my opininon
Thank you very much

Last edited:
While I'm no expert nor do I have experience at 3K with my 338 LM improved, I do know that it will make 3000 yards. Just like the 6.5s will make a mile. I've been saying the high BC heavy 338s are much better in environmental conditions than the heavy .284/.308 bullets for 2K without question just from the additional bullet weight. The .375/.416 bolt gun is the answer for beyond 2K IMO. Sure mine will make the range but beyond that 2K, the 300 grain bullet seems light. The 350+ in bullet weight gets the nod for the extra 1000 yards. The Cheytac cartridge is a big step up in case capacity and the 350 grain minimum bullet weight is what's needed for consistent target impacts. Impacts won't be seen any better but the percentage of hits will be much better.

Thank you everyone for the comments. It is obvious that the 338 LM just would not be the best choice for a 3K competition so I have decided to pass on this competition and look for one closer and offering the oportunity to use the 50BMG.
Given you have a 50BMG, there's no reason NOT to load and shoot it. I think there are certainly better choices but those would be ones you don't currently have. I've seen 50BMG rifles used for 2 mile shooting. Next to some of the 375/416s, accuracy isn't real close but it certainly makes the distance with ease. Never know, it may serve you well.