300 Wthby load data issue.

Watching...How did the factory shoot ... we have had similar problems with other rifles and cal, one in particular the bolt would not lock down with our reloads even when all specs were the same a factory ammo that worked and ejected perfectly... We gave up on that one..... GL
The factory shot great. No loading or grouping issues.

Hi, I too have a 300 WBY have been loading for it for 35 yrs. For most of it I have just been neck sizing (Hornady 30 cal neck die) and never had a problem. In the last few years I have been reading more and more. My most recent purchase was a belted mag collet die (Larry Willis) Turns out you can not use it with a Projector due to shell plates so I m looking for a cheap single stage.
However the collet die can be used to see if the case is bulged just in front of the belt. If I neck size only the case bulges a little (can still easily chamber rounds) So as an experiment I tried using the full length sizer to compress the case just above the belt (had the die turned out a turn or so since I did not want to push the shoulder back) Turns out by doing this my brass would not fit in the chamber. Since I have the Hornady comparator gauge I went looking for the reason. Turns out that when I was compressing the body of the brass the length of the brass base to shoulder was growing to the point where it would not chamber. Once I turned the die back into it normal spot the shoulder got pushed back into it normal length and the brass would once again easily fit into the chamber. I would never have been able to figure this out without the comparator set and a dummy case. My advice is to wait till you get your comparator set. Also I would consider getting a 30 cal neck die. I have easily shot my brass more than 10-15x's (I don't use max node)
Good luck

A Redding Type S sizer, Redding body die, or worse case a Redding small base die would likely solve you problem.

usually this problem is from min dimension chambers and max dimension sizers.
Ok, what's the difference between those and the master hunter series? I'm just curious.

Hi, I too have a 300 WBY have been loading for it for 35 yrs. For most of it I have just been neck sizing (Hornady 30 cal neck die) and never had a problem. In the last few years I have been reading more and more. My most recent purchase was a belted mag collet die (Larry Willis) Turns out you can not use it with a Projector due to shell plates so I m looking for a cheap single stage.
However the collet die can be used to see if the case is bulged just in front of the belt. If I neck size only the case bulges a little (can still easily chamber rounds) So as an experiment I tried using the full length sizer to compress the case just above the belt (had the die turned out a turn or so since I did not want to push the shoulder back) Turns out by doing this my brass would not fit in the chamber. Since I have the Hornady comparator gauge I went looking for the reason. Turns out that when I was compressing the body of the brass the length of the brass base to shoulder was growing to the point where it would not chamber. Once I turned the die back into it normal spot the shoulder got pushed back into it normal length and the brass would once again easily fit into the chamber. I would never have been able to figure this out without the comparator set and a dummy case. My advice is to wait till you get your comparator set. Also I would consider getting a 30 cal neck die. I have easily shot my brass more than 10-15x's (I don't use max node)
Good luck
Thank you so much for your information. I really appreciate it! I'm definitely waiting for the comparator and case gauge before doing anything else at this point.

I shoot several Weatherby Rifles. The brass neck seems to stretch a bit more than others when full length resized--maybe the double radius shoulders? I suggest full length resize your brass, then trim it to suggested "trim to" length. My guess is you're getting your brass jammed in the throat. Forget about seating depth, Weatherby free bore pretty much precludes your ogive jamming into the lands and grooves--so long as your round fits in the magazine you are G2G.

I shoot several Weatherby Rifles. The brass neck seems to stretch a bit more than others when full length resized--maybe the double radius shoulders? I suggest full length resize your brass, then trim it to suggested "trim to" length. My guess is you're getting your brass jammed in the throat. Forget about seating depth, Weatherby free bore pretty much precludes your ogive jamming into the lands and grooves--so long as your round fits in the magazine you are G2G.
Only thing is I noticed lan marks on the bullet after extraction so the bullet is actually sitting right on them.

I have and use the Hornady AOL gauge as part of my reloading. Have yet to find a bullet that touched the lands and will still fit in my Mark V mag and/or will have .308 of the bullet in the neck. I get useful information from all my none Wby cartridges, for the 300 there is no way touch the lands and still have anything more that a single shot (at best)
Have you tried to measure the AOL of your load? there are many simple ways of doing this without the Hornady AOL gauge.

I have and use the Hornady AOL gauge as part of my reloading. Have yet to find a bullet that touched the lands and will still fit in my Mark V mag and/or will have .308 of the bullet in the neck. I get useful information from all my none Wby cartridges, for the 300 there is no way touch the lands and still have anything more that a single shot (at best)
Have you tried to measure the AOL of your load? there are many simple ways of doing this without the Hornady AOL gauge.
I just ordered some tools to be able to do that. Up until now the only thing I have been using is a dial indicator mic but the comparator and case length gauge are on order. I think the shoulder needed to be pushed back a touch more. When I set up the resizer with a bit of over cam it chambered fine with no marks on the bullet.

You're not bumping them back quite far enough.
You can wait for the measuring tools to see this, or try screwing in the sizing die 1/4-1/2 turns until you can chamber the brass.

You can wait for the measuring tools to see this, or try screwing in the sizing die 1/4-1/2 turns until you can chamber the brass.
I just tried it without the decapper or expander and they chamber no problem. Thank you for your help. I got the chamber length gauge and modified case today but am still waiting on the comparator to get here. I would like to have them all safely loaded with known distance off the lands.

Is
Is there a way of measuring how far the case is from the chamber with what I have now? Not having the comparator?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.