300 Wthby load data issue.

I have a 7STW that rechambers after firing. No matter what the setting of the Hornady full sizer die it chambers very tight after sizing. I had to get a Redding body die to get the right shoulder bump and resize to have it rechamber easy.

we had a 243 once that took 3 different sizer dies before we found one that would make it rechamber easy.
Wow that's interesting because one of the gentlemen at the range suggested a shoulder problem. I am using a Redding hunter die with the micrometer built in but I think you might be on to something since this is the second time I have heard this today. Thank you.

Maybe you just need to send it back. The 300 throat should measure .3085. Seems the reamer did not get to bore diameter and there is still some rifling in the freebore. Make up a few dummy,s with no primer or powder and take it to who you got the rifle from and explain so the people of weatherby will have something to go by. I realize now and then some things drop through the cracks. The vanguards I have dealt with are usually very good.
Thank you David. I really appreciate all of your advice. This is a first for me but I am no expert by any means.

T
Maybe you just need to send it back. The 300 throat should measure .3085. Seems the reamer did not get to bore diameter and there is still some rifling in the freebore. Make up a few dummy,s with no primer or powder and take it to who you got the rifle from and explain so the people of weatherby will have something to go by. I realize now and then some things drop through the cracks. The vanguards I have dealt with are usually very good.
Thank you again for all your advice. It is greatly appreciated and I think you are right. None of this makes sense to me at this point.

Never say never :) But if you are getting rifling marks and hard chambering it can only be one thing. The reamer in the freebore was too small. Good luck!!! It could be your bullets are oversize but even so you should not have rifling marks. If the bullet was say .309 it should not enter the throat at all.

The manufactures are no different than we are. Maybe they reground and sharpened the reamer and just ground it a bit too small. No matter what I am sure weatherby will make it right. :)

Take one of your loaded cartridges, and use a Sharpie on it. Blacken everything from the belt to the tip.

You'll see where it is hanging up and know what to do next.

If it will chamber new brass and once fired brass you're probably not bumping ur shoulder enough and then when you pull the expander mandrel back it's pulling the shoulder forward enough to stop the bolt from closing. If it fits in the magazine you can't reach the lands and even if you did Jam the bullet it should still chamber the round

If you have a Hornady case length gauge you can measure the shoulder behind the neck before and after resizing to see if the shoulder is moving on you. You can also try just neck sizing and see if that makes a difference as well.

If it will chamber new brass and once fired brass you're probably not bumping ur shoulder enough and then when you pull the expander mandrel back it's pulling the shoulder forward enough to stop the bolt from closing.

Funny, I have this problem with my 300 Weatherby. It's the only round I've ever had this problem with. It doesn't matter who's brass I use or what die. I have to bump the shoulder as extra .005". I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's enough that I can only get 4 reloads out of the brass if I don't anneal. Unfortunately, when I started reloading 40 years ago, we didn't all this knowledge at our fingertips and I had to learn the hard way. The 300 was also the reason I started reloading. As a 13 year old, I couldn't afford Weathby's ammo prices.

Funny, I have this problem with my 300 Weatherby. It's the only round I've ever had this problem with. It doesn't matter who's brass I use or what die. I have to bump the shoulder as extra .005". I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's enough that I can only get 4 reloads out of the brass if I don't anneal. Unfortunately, when I started reloading 40 years ago, we didn't all this knowledge at our fingertips and I had to learn the hard way. The 300 was also the reason I started reloading. As a 13 year old, I couldn't afford Weathby's ammo prices.
The double radius doesn't behave like other shoulders for sure. Yeah, annealling is a must with why's. I've got hornady 257 wby brass fired 7 times that is still good from annealling. They would've all split by the 5th firing if I hadn't.

Hey David, just one more question. Doesn't the full length sizer die shape the shoulder of the brass as well as the walls and neck? One of the shooters yesterday recommended a body die to bump the shoulder but I thought this was done with a full length sizer.

Thank you Erik, I just saw your reply. When you say bump the shoulder an extra .005 I'm not familiar with how this is done. The reloading class never talked about doing this and I would very much like to learn how as well as anneal properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.