300 WSM

First of all, what twist do you have in your barrel? I was surprised some years back when one of my 300 WSM's (off the shelf buy but a very respectable brand) gave me grief for accuracy with both 180 and 200 grain accubonds. Then it dawned on me - 1:12 twist not 1:10 as in my other 300's...confirmed the twist, and the answer was clear. Now before anyone starts wondering out loud, that piece is a tack driver with every decent 150 grainer I've run through it and does fine with a flat-base 165 as well. Also have another 300 WSM, foreign made, with a 1:11 twist. Acceptable accuracy with several 180's at reasonable (not maxed out) velocities but beyond that I started running into the same issues.
So, 556 Shooter - I think that's probably a bigger factor than the barrel length when it comes to determining what bullet to choose. At this point my question is what you mean by "large game" and "greatest distance." Is elk at 400 yards your goal, or deer at 800? Different requirements of the bullet for each!

I've taken 3 elk with 165 gr Partition and the rest with 180 gr Partition and 1 with Nosler Accubond.
Some fell on the spot and a few ran 25 to 50 yards and all but one 165 gr exited.
The 165 gr Partition got caught up in the opposite leg and I still have it.
Find out which bullets shoots best in your rifle and enjoy your hunt.
Old Rooster

If you are running a short action through a mag H4831SC and 185gr Berger Juggernaut's are a great projectule and the new Sierra 165 GameChangers are great for a lighter projectile.

I would buy some hornady precision hunter in 200 gr. eldx and see how they shoot. If its well mimic load. Thats what I did my mod. 70 loves them and I'm comfortable to 500 yards on elk.

In my 300wsm the throat is so shot you have put a lot of bullet inside the case which cut back on powder capacity.

In factory chambered rifles I think a lot of guys see this issue. I've seen a number of responses in thread like this where the guys can't use the big long bullets.

Just have to wait and see if they chime in.

Your correct. If using a Sammi spec reamer you will have a hard time getting the correct jump on your bullet while maintaining the ability to feed outa a box mag or internal mag. I've used different reamers with much less freebore so I can load the high bc bullets mag length. It does decrease powder capacity but with h4350 I haven't found that a problem like I have with different powders. For a factory chambered 300 wsm I'd probably shoot the tangent ogive 190 to 200gr sierra bullets as the secant ogive 215 Berger is really picky about seating depth while the tangent ogive bullets usually aren't nearly as picky.

Twist rate would be second to the "Nut Behind the Trigger". Mag length probably comes in third.

Perhaps, I need to elaborate; when I make reference to the "NUT" behind the trigger, I meant it beyond its literal meaning. The "NUT" behind the trigger should make every effort (preferably hands on experience) to find these factors such as you noted and other attributes relative to the "NUT" behind the trigger's competency and knowing the equipment/set-up capabilities/limitations for the game being sought. Just saying ... cheers!

Is your throat SHORT or SHOT..as in shot out?

Obviously SHORT makes sense given the rest of the sentace, but.....

Tod

I certainly hope it's not shot out...only has about 75 rounds down the pipe.

I think you can see what I was talking about in my earlier post. With big bullets your going to have a lot of bullet inside the case...a lot.

IMO Large bullets negate the benifit of a short action magnum with the factory chamber. I have mentioned it, more than once that I would like to cut a longer throat in that barrel.

The barrel shoots awsome, but it is sitting the safe waiting on me to do something with the throat.

Perhaps, I need to elaborate; when I make reference to the "NUT" behind the trigger, I meant it beyond its literal meaning. The "NUT" behind the trigger should make every effort (preferably hands on experience) to find these factors such as you noted and other attributes relative to the "NUT" behind the trigger's competency and knowing the equipment/set-up capabilities/limitations for the game being sought. Just saying ... cheers!
Oh I got that completely, no problem. Just playing off of your ball with the others.

Most of you guys that has been around knows I use that statement quite a bit. Just making sure our newer members do not misconstrue my intent as a negative connotation. Cheers!
Good thing you didn't call him a nimrod:D That might be considered offensive today

I certainly hope it's not shot out...only has about 75 rounds down the pipe.

I think you can see what I was talking about in my earlier post. With big bullets your going to have a lot of bullet inside the case...a lot.

IMO Large bullets negate the benifit of a short action magnum with the factory chamber. I have mentioned it, more than once that I would like to cut a longer throat in that barrel.

The barrel shoots awsome, but it is sitting the safe waiting on me to do something with the throat.
Just out of curiosity....what is the freebore on a sami spec, factory chamber. I always assumed that they had long throats.

Tod

Twist rate would be second to the "Nut Behind the Trigger". Mag length probably comes in third.
Have to agree with this - not calling anyone a nut behind the trigger! But ohhh yes, magazine length is definitely a factor. Getting into loads for longer ranges usually means working with longer bullets providing the higher BC's - and if your magazine limits the overall cartridge length to straight SAAMI specs you will definitely find some of the heavier bullets that shoot well if you single load them. But if those "best" loads for a given bullet limit you to single shots vice fitting in the magazine...well, sort of defeats the theory of a quick follow-up shot to anchor a wounded critter. Kudos to those who prefer single shot rifles, but if you go this route you better practice your speedloading drills.
In theory a single shot will make you take your time and place the first shot carefully, and we should ALWAYS do this anyway...but you never know when you'll walk around a hill and spook that trophy buck. When it happens, having a second or even third shot might mean the difference between an easy day and a very long, grueling challenge with no guarantee of success.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.