.300 WSM vs. 7mm WSM

J Mac

Currently I am shooting an older 7mm REM in need of an upgrade. I have been looking at the .300 WSM, but the old 7mm shoots so flat it's hard to change. This addition to the family would be for Elk and long range groundhogs.

Comments?

IMO The 300 WSM will have a longer throat life, if you are doing a lot of back to back shooting.
Myself I prefer the 7mm with the higher BC's.
I have taken a lot of elk with the 7mm andwell, I just like it.
Others will feel differently.

Definitely the 7mm. I stay away from the wsm's and there's not really any proof that there is a benefit to them. For me it would be a 300 win or 7 rm. Just my opinion.

wow , a lot of 7mm lover's

I was using a 7mm Rem Mag and i like it a lot..
One life to live, i've try something else.
a 270 WSM, WOW ! shoot few deer with it and in my opinion that's a real Deer rifle.
Then i've deceided to try something bigger, 338 RUM...
Again few deer and 2 moose..God it's powerful and flatter than a 22-250, with a 200gr BallisticTip flying a 3310 fps...Sweet...
Then i deceided to give a try to the 300 WSM
I've bought a Sako Finnlight, put a Limbsaver on it, and shooting 180gr AB at 3110fps... and beleive me..with the limbsaver the recoil is not harder than a 7mm RemMag.
And now..that's the only one i use...and i bought another one ( savage ) as a back-up...
If you compare a 7mmRemMag with a 160gr NAB, VS a 300 WSM with a 180gr NAB..
You will see the 300 WSM is flatter a 500 yards by almost 2 inch..
More speed, more power, more TKO....
And its fun to shoot!
Ive try also many caliber..30-06, 300WinMag, 30-30, 25-06, 270win, and i forget some....But i didnt talk about them, because i didnt kill anything with them..
The worst a have own, was a Tikka 595 Whitetail ( if my memory's good)
in 300 WinMag... She was a Brute to my shoulder! the 595 was light, factory recoil pad from a 8 ply truck tire) I've called her ( Ninja ) each time i've sqeeze the trigger it was like a Punch of Ninja on my shoulder....Grrr..
My 338 RUm is a kiss from an angel beside it....
7MM WSM is already DEAD..forget it.
She's ( 7mmWSM ) in the same league of 30TC, 300-338 RCM....

Thanks

Thank you for your comments. The 300 will give me more options, plus I still have my old 7mm in the gun safe.

So, I am going with the .300.... Savage Model 16FHSAK or the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA stainless?

J Mac

I have been shooting and hunting for more than 50 years and have had a lot of different calibers. I bought one of the first Remington 7mm Mag in the early 60's and loved it. Used it for many years but finally got tired of the recoil. Been a 7mm lover most of that time. A couple of years ago I helped my son build a 300 WSM and I so impressed that I had to have one myself. The 300 WSM can shoot heavier bullets, faster, flatter, less wind drift, more accurately and with less recoil than the 7mm Rem. Mag. Argue with me all you want but this has been my experience with both rounds.

i think that its amazing that you guys are out there dissing the 7mm. i shoot a custom 7mm wsm and am shooting 168 bergerts with a bc of .64. i also kave a 300 mag i am shooting 168 bergers through it as well they had a bc of .46. so you tell me why you guys think that they are so much flatter and with less wind drift. if you like a 7mm shoot it, you can get 180 berger vlds and get even more bc, my gun just likes 168 pushed 3075 fps. good luck.

I am getting to the opinion that BC is BS!! One of the most accurate rifles that I ever shot was a 30BR using a 118 grain bullet with crap for a BC.

Easy

eclipse: where did you get data that the 300wsm is flatter than the 7rm at 500 yards. Using a 180 berger a 7rm is way flatter than the 300.

- WHO ? factory load a 180gr Berger??

- What's the BC of this 180gr( 0.684 ), and What's the speed at Zero, Because the Hottest load i've found was obtain by RELOADING with a custom 28 inch barrel and a Very Hot load at ( Claimed ) : 3010 fps.

- Are you telling me, you gonna use a Berger 180gr to kill a big game ???

- My Data are Spec from FACTORY load Winchester Ammunition for this simple example.
Klik on ( product comparison below )
Product Comparison

-the factory loaded 300wsm exit at 3010 fps from a 24inch barrel , same of youre Hottest reload i've found. so it's basically the same speed,
The VLD (0.684) does it make a big difference at 500 yard? answer is Easy : NO

-And the Accubond is a REAL hunting bullet.

-If you wanna play this game, i can find a load from a .300 Mag who'se gonna beat youre little 7mm anytimes...

But i'm not this kind of person.

BTW:
Yes i have a Sako Finnlight,
And a Savage 16 FCSS,
Let me tell you something, i've try them both a lot and compare...
And with absolutely no doubt in my mind : SAVAGE is by far the best value for the price.
Only on little problem on the savage, the Ejector...It's simply a little piece of steel spring loaded... , sometimes, you will have to remove it and stretch it a bit to put back tension in it.
And you'll have to absolutely CHANGE the recoil pad for a SVL Limbsaver..
Accutrigger is GREAT !!!!!

And LOL ! Savage with the same load and virtually the same barrel lengt of my Sako is: 80 fps Faster.
Simply because Savage have less FreeBore than Sako.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts