.300 wsm vs 7mm rem mag

richlauer91

Hey guys first ever time doing this so testing testing one two three here goes *ahem* I have a hunting partner that is trying to decide between a 7mm rem mag and a .300 wsm for kansas deer hunting this year either way he is getting a tikka t3 rifle I personally own a tikka t3 .300 wsm and I love it so I'm advising him to get the .300 wsm what do yall think?

Hey guys first ever time doing this so testing testing one two three here goes *ahem* I have a hunting partner that is trying to decide between a 7mm rem mag and a .300 wsm for kansas deer hunting this year either way he is getting a tikka t3 rifle I personally own a tikka t3 .300 wsm and I love it so I'm advising him to get the .300 wsm what do yall think?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Either one will serve your friend very well for deer. Having said that, I would pick the 7MM Rem Mag. However, there's a member here that think belted cartridges are poorly designed, he'll talk your friend of it ... he'll be here shortly. :):D:rolleyes::cool:

Imo the only difference is personal opinion but since I own a tikka t3 .300 wsm that's the way I'm advising him to go for no other reason than I'm more familiar with the short mag

Imo the only difference is personal opinion but since I own a tikka t3 .300 wsm that's the way I'm advising him to go for no other reason than I'm more familiar with the short mag

I too have a .300 WSM (currently developing loads with 215 Bergers) and three .300 Win Mags. If the 7MM RM is loaded with 190 Matrix VLD or when the 190 Berger is out, is a tough combination to beat esp. in LRH/S.

I too have a 300 WSM. Though not a Tikka.

I rechambered the 7mm to 28-Nosler before shooting it but there are enough people who are familiar with it.

IIWM, yes advise him to go 300 WSM.

Both are deer killers so its personal preference. I'd say 7mm rem mag and never look back. But I am a .284 lover so I am quite biased.

There is not one thing one can do that the other can't. Let him pick and enjoy.gun)

Brian

My SIL has a Tikka 3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag, killed a nice bull elk last year with HSM factory 168 Bergers. Right out of the box that thing shoots .5"! Of course, my SIL is a Msgt Marine, so he does know how to shoot ( he still isn't as good as I am, ARMY, Hoooah!) I'd say the 300WSM just because you two run together. If its just a matter of availability, I see more 7 mag ammo than 300WSM. Good luck.

My SIL has a Tikka 3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag, killed a nice bull elk last year with HSM factory 168 Bergers. Right out of the box that thing shoots .5"! Of course, my SIL is a Msgt Marine, so he does know how to shoot ( he still isn't as good as I am, ARMY, Hoooah!) I'd say the 300WSM just because you two run together. If its just a matter of availability, I see more 7 mag ammo than 300WSM. Good luck.

L:DL! You gotta love inter-service rivalry.

The same is true with the 7MM RM brass availability.

.300 wsm for sure!! both do a
great job but I am a fan of the little bit larger bullet.It
makes a slightly larger hole.

I'm very partial to 7mm MAg and have owned a Tikka T3 in 7mag and I'd recommend the .300 WSM for one simple reason: The magazine length on the Tikka is very short and really hampers the COL you can load to with long bullets in a long action caliber. If your buddy only shoots factory ammo then I'd go 7mag as hunting ammo is less expensive and more choices are available. If he hand loads then definitely the WSM. And tell him to get a brake; the T3's in magnum calibers kick like mules-they are very light rifles :)

BTW: either caliber is more than enough for white tail. Maybe he should consider a 7mm-08?

Both are deer killers so its personal preference. I'd say 7mm rem mag and never look back. But I am a .284 lover so I am quite biased.

There is not one thing one can do that the other can't. Let him pick and enjoy.gun)

Brian

Go with 300wsm in case you might go on a elk hunt in the future

In this case and due to the specific comparison it's a no brainer, go 7mm Rem Mag! When going on a ordinary hunting trip you've got one of the most versatile cartridges in the world and you'll get supply almost any place around the globe. High accuracy, flat trajectory, good terminal energy and a fully acceptable level of recoil (without a brake!) makes the 7RM simply astonishing good. From North America over Europe, Asia and Africa you might use it any place. BTW, it's one of the most preferred rounds when it comes to mountain hunting and that by reason. And don't worry about the belt, it doesn't matter at all. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.