300 wsm throat length

rcreup

I just purchased a tikka lite in 300 wsm and measured my maximum overall bullet length w a stoney creek tool, and found the oal to the ogive is 2.410. My previous 300 wsm weatherby vanguard was 2.266 to the ogive. This seems to be a huge difference. A random check of 4 different factory loads revealled a range of 2.193 to 2.219 base to ogive. Could this be a factory error, or just the way the Finnish make a gun? I have yet to shoot the gun. A bullet jump of 0.283 seems would seem to portend poor accuracy. Any thoughts/opinions?

My son bought a Tikka 300WSM and I bought a Sako Finnlite 300WSM they both have a huge jump to the lands and neither shoot worth s##t. The Tikka will shoot quite well if you get close to the lands but then you cannot feed from the magazine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This is why I have come to the conclusion you are better off building a rifle your self from scratch. I believe what Sako/Tikka is doing is using a 30 cal. barrel made for another caliber with a longer case and just reaming it to 300WSM and leaving the free bore that would not be there if it was reamed to say 300WM. I am going to throw a bunch more money at this after hunting season and rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.