300 WSM Seating Depth / Coal

speeders

I just bought a Remington 700 300 WSM. I am new to loading this calibre and have a few questions in regards to Seating depth. I'm planing on shooting 168 gr ballistic tips. I figured out distance to the lands at 2.913. I tried a dummy round at 2.885 to start and it is still too long to fit in the mag. In the past with my Remington's shooting BT's I found .010 to 0.020 has been the sweet spot for shooting close to 0.5 moa. That was with my 22-250, .243, 25-06 and 300 WM.

My trouble now is the mag length. Looks like I am going to have to start seated in at least .060 to .070. I have found in the past that I usually get erratic groups.

I have been doing as much reading as I can. Sounds like the 300 WSM isn't as fussy and need to be seated super close to the lands?

Anyone have any tips or experience that they can share.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 234
I have loaded the 300WSM for about ten years and I have found that with most bullets seating close to the lands is not always necessary. With my two guns(Winchester Model 70, Ruger Mark II) I have shot many different bullets from Sierra Match, Nosler Accubonds, Nosler BTs, Nolser Partitions, Berger VLD's, Barnes TTSX, and Barnes TSX's, and the only bullets that I shoot close to the land was the Bergers.

Because the Winchester allowed me to get the Berger up close, I was able to and they shot well. However, my Mark II with a shorter mag also shot the Barnes TTSX's very well .050 to .070 off the lands. The Nosler Accubonds, and Partitions shot great in the Winchester without getting them close.

I would try the Bt's at the length that they fit the mag and see what happens. You may find that they shoot great as I did with the Nosler Partitions in my Model 70.

I wouldn't worry too much.My Remy. groups the best @ 2.850 with 165gr Nosler BT's or Hornady Interbonds @ 200 yds.Closer to the lands it was shooting tight @ 100yds,but @ 200yds,it wasn't.Seated my bullets a little deeper and she shot tight @ 100 and 200yds.Play with it and see what she likes the best.

I've never tried to put a handload round in the mag of my 300WSM. IMHO, strictly for factory/hunting rounds.

For my 208 A-Max load, best is .005 off the lands. I don't have my notes with me.

I have to release the bolt to remove an unfired round. Ok by me.

Winchester 760,H414 is the same powder.It is giving me the highest velocity with excellent groups.Other powders I have tried with good results are,Ramshot Hunter,Reloader-22 and IMR-4350.Heck the 300WSM is not very picky.

I have the same mag length constraint (I think anyone in a SA does) and have been able to get pretty good accuracy with 168 Nosler ABs seated to a COL about 5 thou shorter than mag length. I also shoot 168 Barnes TTSXs in this rig as they tend to prefer being 30 to 70 thou off the lands.

Worth noting I am certainly not a competitive benchrest guy! I get about 0.85 inch average with my best load in either above bullet, and nothing more (Winchester M70)

I have had good luck with IMR 4350 and WIN 760 for powder.

im shooting the 165 NBT with 68gr. H4831sc in my remington 300 wsm with excellent results. My rifle also likes the 180 NBT with 66gr. H4831sc with a COAL of 2.910. the 165 COAL is 2.905. both these loads are .5 groups at 100. When it gets warmer out i will be trying both these loads out at 300-750 yds. but until then i'll just keep experimenting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.