300 WSM / RL19 / Scirocco 165 Gr.

Jess,

Yes I have worked up loads using the 168 Berger VLD. I had found a great load using RL-19 and 168 grain Sierra Match bullets. Since this was not a max load I bought some Berger bullets and used the same load with them. I never got them to shoot as accurately as the Sierra bullets did in my Winchester Model 70.

However, in my Ruger 77 Mark II I was able to get some good result with the 168 bullet using N550.

I think the reason I got better results with the Ruger is that the Winchester has a longer throat and I never could get the bullets close enough to the lands. I did not have that problem with the Ruger.

I am not sure why so I won't speculate, but my friend gave me a box of 165 scirroccos after he bought them to load in a .308. He is a long time reloader and competitive shooter so he had plenty of experience, but he could not get them to shoot in his rifle. I don't recall what the load was, but he was getting high pressure with a normally light load for other bullets. The rifle was a weatherby. After I got them I loaded up some for .300 WSM and RL22 in winchester brass with Fed. GM primers. They shot great. I had all my old load data on my PC that crashed so I don't have the charge weight, but the velocity was around 3200 I believe. There was no signs of pressure at all. The barrell was a Mike Rock 5R. I figured RL19 was a bit too fast for the .300 WSM. I have had good luck with the 165's and 180's with RL22.

Dusty, the Scirocco is a picky bullet. I have tried to load this same bullet in a friend's rifle and it simply did not like it. However, I've had no problems whatsoever getting them to shoot in my personal rifles.

Curiously, if you were to inspect a Scirocco bullet on an internal concentricity comparator, from Vern Juenke, you'd find that for a factory bullet, you will likely not find a more concentric bullet. The caveat to this bullet is that it is pure lead, pure copper, i.e, pure picky.

It is an absolute repeatable tack driver, however, if in fact you find a sweet spot in a particular rifle. Moreover, I have found that it is substantially more difficult to establish a very good load in a run of the mill factory barrel/factory rifle. Perhaps it takes a handlapped bbl for optimum results. I do not know.

I have been very impressed with the performance on game with this bullet, particularly, the 180 gr. 30 cal in a 30.06 on bears, and the same bullet in my 300 RUM. It is a good thing this bullet is bonded as it is my belief that if it wasn't it would be more frangible than the Nosler Btip with its controversial reputation.

I tried the 165 Scirocco in my Coyote lite M70 with several different powders with poor results. I finally found the magic bullet for that rifle in the 168 TSX. But when I load the Scirocco in my FNH SPR 308 it's one of the most accurate bullets I've tried. Try a little slower powder than RL 19.

I personally like RL19 in my 300 WSM.

I had a Weatherby Vanguard and now have a Remington Model 700 CDL Stainless Fluted.

The Vanguard loved RL19. I shot 69.5 gr of it with a 180 Interbond at about 2950 ft/s. Usually averaged .75" groups.

The Remington likes it. Shot a .5" group with 64.5 gr and 200 gr Accubond. Have gone up to 67.5 gr with the 200s with no pressure signs.

Just my experience. The Remington really likes RL22, 71gr and 180 Scirroccos. As well as 68.5 gr IMR4831 with 180 SSTs.

I've tried Barnes, Nosler ABs and Hornady SSTs in my Browning 300 WSM and actually did pretty good with the Barnes but better with the Nosler, then stayed consistant with the Hornadys. All in 165 grain and using different loads of H414 at around 64 grains. I'm using CCI mag primers and Remington brass.

I was just using a sand bag when I was shooting, but I was getting 1.5 " or less with the Barnes and around 1" with the Noslers and Hornadys. I still have a box of Barnes 165s to use, so I might try IMR 4350 to see just how tight I can get them.

I've checked a few boards and the 4350s and H414 do get mentioned a lot. I would love to see if the IMR 4350 will work in the 300;then I can buy one powder for .243,30-06 and 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.