300 WSM Reloading Advice

skookum

I recently bought a McMillan built 300WSM and have very little time behind it, I dont have all the reloading equipment at this time due to my current housing situation(the army doesn't like it when you have primers and several pounds of gun powder in their housing) but I have done some load testing with factory loads to give me an idea where to start when i am actually able to start reloading myself, hopefully in the near future.

The rifle shot sub .5 moa at 100 yds with 175gr Sierra Matchking HP loaded by Black Hills Ammuntion. I have yet to try berger bullets, which is on my to do list, but i am more curious about powders and where might be a good place to start, and how much different types of magnum powders may effect accuracy. I appreciate the help.

-Skookum

RL-17 is the velocity king in the 300WSM with 180gr class bullets. (Keep it UNDER 66gr!)
RL-19 is good all round powder, as is Either of the 4350's, & 4831's
For 200+ gr bullets IMR-7828ssc is a great choice, as is RL-22

I launch all mine with Nosler brass, Fed.215 primers, & Accubonds, & couldn't be happier.

I have just acquired a Sako 75 in 300 WSM, that I too am looking for loads for.
I have some 180gr Barnes TTSX bullets to try, I would like to stick with the heavier bullet weights as I have lots of caliber choices in the safe for lighter firepower.

The barrel is 24 3/8" and 1-11 twist. I am hoping I can push the 180's in the 3050-3100fps range.

My load for 300WSM is:

Win Brass
60.5gns H4350
Hornady A-Max 208
-.010 from lands.
Fed GM210M primers

2720fps

Sub-Moa to 700 yards and waiting to try longer.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll start with H4350 and go from there. I'm eager to try the Bergers after reading so much about them on here. I would also like to try heavier Barnes X bullets, even though mine did not like the 168 gr TTSX very well, shooting barely under moa at 100yds.

Noted. Thanks Frequent Misser, is your rifle a short action? I am worried if i used something much over 180 gr bullets the OAL will be too long to fit in my mag well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.