300 WSM Question

tweek1142

Hello,

I recently ran into something that puzzles me. But first here is what i have for a rifle.

Remington 700 SPS Stainless w/ Hart Muzzle Break
Mcmillian A3 Sporter pillar/glass bedded
Bushnell 4.5-30X50 Elite Tactical

Pet Load: 66 gr. RL 17 behind a 168 NBT

Ok i have been shooting this load for some time now with great accuracy out to 800 yds. I haven't shot further than that so this is my max range i am comfortable with. Anyways, i have wondered lately if my pressure is high. I do get slightly flattened primers but this may be due to my head spacing being .004 longer or so i think because i get the same results with flattened primers even with factory ammo. my bolt lift has no hard lift what so ever. but this is what bothers me. Last weekend i was shooting and i took an already fired brass and chambered it. The bolt was hard to close. I thought that was weird so i shot another round. The bolt was easy to lift, i took out the empty brass and put it back in and again the bolt was hard to close. I did this a couple of times with the same result.

Now i do bump back the shoulder of the case .002 every time i resize. this happened on the 2nd firing of the brass. I checked the primer pockets when i got home and they are still snug. Can anyone please tell me what i am experiencing? Do i need to FL size? i trim my brass to 2.88 and after they are fired they do stretch to 2.95 and i always trim them back to 2.88. Is this too much stretch and should i be trimming every firing like i am?

thanks in advance for the help

Chamber out of round?
Bolt face not squared to action?
Running too high pressure with soft brass to get that much flow?
I dunno. Could be a lot of things.

I shoot 65gr RL-17 with 180 Accubonds, Nosler brass, & Fed 215 primer. I've loaded up to 66 gr, but backed off.
From what I've seen, RL-17 has a pressure curve that goes from flat to vertical in a Very short swing. Most folks that I've talked to agree that RL-17/300WSM combo likes the "warmer" loads for accuracy, but it'll let you know without a doubt when your on the edge of having a come apart if you're paying attention.
I don't know what the recommended loads are for 165's, but my guess is you've got something going on with your rifle, considering your previous posts on the subject

ive wondered about the chamber being out of round. as far as bolt face not being square to the action i don't think that is it because i had Hart's do their Accuracy package which includes lapping recoil lugs. When they did the package that's how i found out about my head spacing being .004 longer. What ill do next time i go out is fire one unload it and chamber it turning it every time i chamber to see if it is out of round. Then ill check them with the micro. If it is out of round what are my options? i doubt i will get Remington to look at it after the work i had done.

I appreciate your reply and considering my other posts. thanks again for the help. the rifle does shoot awesome. and the max load for 165 is 68 gr RL17. thats i why i used the 66 gr. as max for the 168 being the 180 is 66 gr max and they are bout the same length. I have never gone over this weight. i can also try some load with 61-63 gr to see if i get the same effect with the brass.

ok i tried the 61 gr. of RL 17. This load one holed at 100 yds. i was quite impressed. and the empty brass was easy to chamber. Same with 63 and 65gr. just not the same accuracy. So just for fun i tried some of my 66gr loads and only 2 out of the 5 were difficult to chamber after being fired.

ive wondered about the chamber being out of round. as far as bolt face not being square to the action i don't think that is it because i had Hart's do their Accuracy package which includes lapping recoil lugs. When they did the package that's how i found out about my head spacing being .004 longer. What ill do next time i go out is fire one unload it and chamber it turning it every time i chamber to see if it is out of round. Then ill check them with the micro. If it is out of round what are my options? i doubt i will get Remington to look at it after the work i had done.

I appreciate your reply and considering my other posts. thanks again for the help. the rifle does shoot awesome. and the max load for 165 is 68 gr RL17. thats i why i used the 66 gr. as max for the 168 being the 180 is 66 gr max and they are bout the same length. I have never gone over this weight. i can also try some load with 61-63 gr to see if i get the same effect with the brass.

Have you run any loads over a chronograph? The max load of 68gr/R17 with 165gr Speer bullet @ 3217fps and max load of 66gr/R-17 with 180gr Speer bullet @ 3082fps.

I've shot some R-17 in my 300WSM with 165/168gr bullets be interest to compare data.

i have not ran it through a chrono. But what i have done is the G7 Ballistic Calculator with trajectory validation. I use this drop chart that it gives you. its telling me im running 3205 fps. and the drop chart is right on out to 800 and everywhere in between. i shoot at a caldwell gong

Currently using 64.6 grains of RL17 with 168tsx bullets. I have found a decent node here but have not put it over a chrono.

My max load out of a Sako M85, 24 3/8" barrel is 67.5 gr of 17 pushing 180 E-Tips to 3200 fps. that is a warm load but the Norma brass is holding up just fine.

My guess is your brass just needs to be sized back a couple of thou each firing. I'm a FL sizer guy myself and size my brass exactly the same way each time...consistency...

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts